Saturday, June 14, 2014

Can and Could Guessing Game



Google: drive, docs, pub
[A guessing game activity.  First put students into teams and have each team guess sentences about the teacher.  Then put students into pairs, and have them try and guess correct sentences about their partner.]

Make guesses about your teacher using
can, can't, could, couldn't
Your team will get one point for each correct answer.
Sentence
Correct?
1. The teacher ______ drive a car.

2.  5 years ago, the teacher ___________ drive a car.

3. The teacher ________ ice skate.

4. 5 years ago, the teacher ___________ ice skate.

5.  The teacher _______ read and write English.

6. 5 years ago, the teacher _________ read and write English.

7. The teacher ______ ride a bicycle.

8. 5 years ago, the teacher __________ ride a bicycle.

9. The teacher _______ speak Chinese.

10. 5 years ago, the teacher __________ speak Chinese.

11.  The teacher usually ______ sleep well.

12. Last night, the teacher __________ sleep well.

13.  The teacher usually _______ eat all of his dinner.

14.  Last night, the teacher __________ eat all of his dinner.

15.  The teacher _____ play the piano.

16. 5 years ago, the teacher ______ play the piano.

17.  The teacher  ______ sing well.

18. 5 years ago, the teacher ________ sing well.

19. The teacher _______ stay up late.

20. 5 years ago, the teacher ________ stay up late.




Now, make sentences about yourself, using:
can, can't, could, couldn't

1. I______ drive a car.
2.  5 years ago, I ___________ drive a car.
3. I ________ ice skate.
4. 5 years ago, I ___________ ice skate.
5.  I _______ read and write English.
6. 5 years ago, I_________ read and write English.
7. I ______ ride a bicycle.
8. 5 years ago, I __________ ride a bicycle.
9. I _______ speak Chinese.
10. 5 years ago, I __________ speak Chinese.
11.  I  usually ______ sleep well.
12. Last night, I  __________ sleep well.
13.  I usually _______ eat all of my dinner.
14.  Last night, I __________ eat all of my dinner.
15.  I _____ play the piano.
16. 5 years ago, I______ play the piano.
17.  I  ______ sing well.
18. 5 years ago, I ________ sing well.
19.  I _______ stay up late.
20. 5 years ago, I ________ stay up late.



Make guesses about your partner using
can, can't, could, couldn't
You  will get one point for each correct answer.
Sentence
Correct?
1. My partner ______ drive a car.

2. 5 years ago, my partner ___________ drive a car.

3. My partner ________ ice skate.

4. 5 years ago, my partner ___________ ice skate.

5.  My partner _______ read and write English.

6. 5 years ago, my partner _________ read and write English.

7. My partner ______ ride a bicycle.

8. 5 years ago, my partner __________ ride a bicycle.

9. My partner _______ speak Chinese.

10. 5 years ago, my partner __________ speak Chinese.

11. My partner usually ______ sleep well.

12. Last night, my partner __________ sleep well.

13. My partner usually _______ eat all of their dinner.

14.  Last night, my partner __________ eat all of their dinner.

15. My partner _____ play the piano.

16. 5 years ago, my partner ______ play the piano.

17. My partner ______ sing well.

18. 5 years ago, my partner ________ sing well.

19. My partner _______ stay up late.

20. 5 years ago, my partner ________ stay up late.


Now, check your answers with your partner.  Put a check by the correct answers and a cross X by the incorrect answers.
How many answers did you get correct?____________

No comments: