Saturday, July 11, 2020

Using Article on Stealing Baby Names for Teaching Future in the Past

(TESOL Worksheets--Future in the Past)
Google: docs, pub--Adapted from: If you think your baby name was stolen, you’ve got another think coming

[Notes: In my class, I used this to supplement Close-up C1 p.23
Procedure: The lead-in for this one is personal, so different teachers will have to find different ways to adapt it.  In my situation, I show a picture of my daughter, get students to try to guess her name.  Then I reveal the name, and they have to guess why I chose that name.  Then I give them the reasons.  (Teachers without children will have to adapt this.  Perhaps they can talk about names they want to give their future children.)
Then, I tell my teenage students to think about what names they want to give their future children.  They were a little reluctant to do this, so I joked with them that, "It's never too early to start thinking about these things."  Students discussed with a partner what names they liked for their own future children.
Then, I told them they were going to read an article about a big problem that's happening with baby names in America right now.  Before they read the article, students try to guess what the problem is.  They talk with a partner, then I elicit some predictions on the whiteboard.
Students are given the first page of the article.  (The title of the Google doc gives away the answer, so I suggest turning the "headers and footers" off on the printing option.)  Students read it quickly and find out what the problem is.  Then they check with a partner.  Then open class feedback.
Students talk with a partner about how they would feel if someone stole their baby name.
The last line of the first page of the article reads "If someone “steals” your baby name, here are three possible courses of action:"  Students brainstorm what these three possible courses of action might be, ideas are elicted onto the board, and then students are given the second half of the article to check their answers.
The answers are confirmed in open class feedback, and then students talk about which of the three options they like the best.
I then draw students attention to the first two sentences in the article: "I had my future all planned out. I would marry at 21"  We construct a timeline for this sentence on the board, and use Concept checking questions.
Students are then instructed to underline all other verb phrases in the article that have future in the past meaning.  (Students are instructed to look at only the first page of the article.)  They check with their partner, then open class feedback, and I hand out the table with the answers for it for further confirmation.

Future Plans in the Past
would+V1
was going to+V1
words used to convey future meaning
I would marry at 21
The first would be a girl
it would be so
I was going to name my son Jackson
I planned
intended
had plans

No comments: