Monday, July 13, 2020

Keeping Track of my Youtube Videos Where the Audio is Out of Sync as a Result of Trying to Trim the Opening

Update: August 5, 2020: Okay, so I've now noticed this on multiple videos.  I've decided its enough of a problem now that I'm going to stop trimming my videos in Youtube editor until I can figure out what is going on.  Apologies in advance to viewers.  You'll just have to put up with the first couple seconds of each video being me turning the camera on and then setting it down.
Anyone who's watched my videos knows that I don't have a high standard for professionalism.  But having the video and the audio in sync is my minimum.  It ruins the whole video if the audio is out of sync by even a couple seconds.
It might be that this is more of a problem with the videos I trimmed under the old editor (before Youtube switched to Beta), but until I can figure this out for sure, I'm going to stop using Youtube trim altogether.
I know it's annoying to have those 2-5 seconds of me turning the camera on and setting the camera up at the beginning of every video.  But it's not worth it to me to mess around with it if its going to result in the audio being out of sync on a lot of my videos.

Marx's Das Kapital: A Biography by Francis Wheen: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: December 27, 2019 Noticed Problem: October 30, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.  Update December 30, 2020.  Just checked on it now, still out of sync.  It's playing fine in editor though.  I fooled around with it again in trim to see if that will help anything again.
A People's History of the World by Chris Harman: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: November 23, 2019 Noticed Problem: September 23, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Elizabeth: The Golden Age: Movie Review (Scripted) Video Published: November 17, 2019, Noticed Problem: September 21, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Part 2: Shinsengumi! NHK Historical Drama Video Published: November 7, 2019, Noticed Problem: September 17, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Lions for Lambs: Movie Reviews (Scripted) Video Published: October 28, 2019, Noticed Problem: September 2, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
* Paine by John Vail: World Leaders Past and Present Series: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: October 26, 2020 Noticed Problem: September 1, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Danton by Frank Dwyer: World Leaders Past and Present: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: October 12, 2019 Noticed Problem: August 19, 2020--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
*The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: October 2, 2019 Noticed Problem: August 12, 2020--I went into editor, and I couldn't trim it again.  In editor, the video actually is in sync.  It's only the published version where the video is out of sync.  Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help
Rush Hour 3: Movie Review (Scripted) Video Published: September 19, 2019, Noticed Problem: August 7, 2020--I went into Trim, but I couldn't edit anything.  Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: September 18, 2019, Noticed Problem: August 5, 2020  I went to editor to try and fix, but can't seem to trim it now. Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help
* The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: August 27, 2019, Noticed Problem: July 13, 2020. Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help
* My Neighbor Totoro: Movie Review (Scripted)  Video Published: Aug 10, 2019, Noticed Problem: June 29, 2020 Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: March 14, 2020, Noticed Problem: December 30 2020--A reverse of the normal pattern in that the video is ahead of the audio this time.  The video goes for a couple seconds before the audio starts (out of sync).  It plays fine in editor though.  I fiddled with it in editor to see if that helped.
* Ten Apples Up On Top! by Dr Seuss: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: October 21, 2019, Noticed Problem: March 19, 2021--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Hooper Humperdink ...? NOT HIM! by Dr Seuss: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: October 19, 2019, Noticed Problem: March 19, 2021--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
* In a People House by Dr Seuss: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: October 17, 2019, Noticed Problem: March 19, 2021--I went into editor.  In editor the sync is actually okay.  I could also get trim to work this time, so I trimmed it a bit more to see if that would result in it playing properly.
Because a Little Bug Went Ka-Choo! by Dr Seuss: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: October 23, 2019, Noticed Problem: March 21, 2021--The sync is off by just a tiny bit, but it's noticeable that the page turning sounds are coming just a half-second before the actual page turns.  I did the standard thing where I trimmed it just a bit more in editor to see if that makes a difference.
A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: November 10, 2019, Noticed Problem: August 6, 2021--I hit "revert to original" in editor.  Let's see if that helps
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss: ESL Listening Storybook Video Published: Dec 2, 2019 Noticed Problem Aug 28, 2021--I hit "revert to original" in editor.  Let's see if that helps

Editing:
* Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Movie Review (Scripted) Video Published: March 10, 2020 Noticed Problem: December 28, 2020--No problems with the sync, but the beginning is trimmed when viewed in editor, but not trimmed when viewed on the channel

Resolved:
Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice: Book Review (Scripted)--This one seems to have resolved itself.  Not sure if it resolved itself on its own, or if this was a matter of me fiddling around with the editor.
Romeo x Juliet: Anime Series Review (Scripted) Video Published: September 12, 2019 Noticed Problem: July 23, 2020--I fooled around with Youtube editor on July 23, 2020.  I was able to open it and trim the video again.  Now the audio is in sync with the visuals, but the video is displaying as untrimmed.
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy: Book Review (Scripted) Video Published: October 10, 2019, Noticed Problem: August 18, 2020--I was able to get into editor, and trimmed this again.  The result seems to be that it just reverted back to the original unedited video.  But at least the audio is now in sync
The Affair of the Necklace: Movie Review (Scripted) Video Published: October 4, 2019 Noticed Problem: August 17, 2020--I was able to get into editor, and trimmed this again.  The result seems to be that it just reverted back to the original unedited video.  But at least the audio is now in sync
Hellboy: Movie Review (Scripted) Video Published: September 23, 2019 Noticed Problem: August 10, 2020--I went into Trim, and this time I could edit.  A few weeks later, the video had reverted back to the original unedited version.  But at least the audio is now in sync
* The Mysterious Cities of Gold: Anime Series Review (Scripted) Video Published: September 17, 2019 Noticed Problem: August 5, 2020 I went to editor to try and fix, but can't seem to trim it now.  Update August 19--I was able to get into editor this time, and tried to trim it again to see if that would help--Update December 30, 2020.  This appears to be working fine now.


This list is going to be only of interest to me.  (Sorry about that.  I know I shouldn't really do this on a public blog--annoying for my readers and all that.  But this blog is often the easiest place for me to keep track of things.)
It's a list of my Youtube videos where the audio doesn't sync with the video--at least on my computer.
These are all videos that I've trimmed in Youtube editor.
Youtube doesn't have much of an editing program.  (I read somewhere that it used to be more extensive, but that they canned it because barely anyone was using it.)  But you can trim out the beginning or ending of your videos.  The first 2-5 seconds of each of my videos is always me turning on the camera and setting it down, so I've been using Youtube editor to trim that part out.
In a few of the videos, it looks like this has resulted in only the audio getting trimmed out, and not the video. (That's not the way it's supposed to work, but apparently it's a glitch.)  I've caught it in 3 of my videos so far.
The first one I noticed eventually fixed itself.  (I was also fiddling with it in Youtube editor-- maybe that helped?  I don't really remember what I did though.
The second one I caught hasn't fixed itself yet, and I can't really do much in Youtube editor.  (It shows the trim function, but won't let me use it--Youtube has recently updated to a new Beta version, so that new program may explain the glitches?)
Then I caught a 3rd one, and at this point I thought I should start keeping track of the ones I find.
I'm want to keep track of them, because:
* If at some point I figure out how to fix this, I want to remember which videos to fix.
* I want to try to figure out the scope of the problem, and which videos it affects (Is it effecting videos trimmed on the old editor only, or in the Beta editor)?  If it turns out this is a big problem, and if it's also a problem with the new Beta editor, I may just stop trimming off the first 2-5 seconds of my videos.  I mean, those few seconds fiddling with the camera at the beginning of every video are annoying to watch, but not nearly as as annoying as having the whole audio out of sync.

No comments: