Friday, July 10, 2020

Rosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins

(Graded Reader)

I was teaching a lesson from English World 2-- Grammar p.120 which required teaching the prepositions over, into, around, under and through, and I was looking for some way to put them all in a unified presentation.  While searching for images on Google, I stumbled upon this book. 
By looking at various images on websites, and Youtube videos, I was able to reconstruct this book and use it in my classroom as an introduction to the aforementioned prepositions.  But since it's a children's picture book, I'm also going to count it as one of my Story Time projects. 
It is also available on Amazon HERE

The book is designed to showcase several prepositions as Rosie the Hen walks under, around, through, past, and over various objects.  There's also a fox who is stalking her, who constantly gets foiled by the various objects Rosie walks around (reminiscent of like the Road Runner and the Coyote).

I'm not sure if the book was designed for ESL students specifically, but is was definitely designed to showcase a certain language feature.  And there are loads of teaching materials already online for this website.
I found this blog helpful: Rosie's Walk Writing Prompt And More--and used these ideas to create a follow up writing activity in my class.

Google Drive Folder HERE:
* Rosie's Walk: slides, pub
* Rosie's Walk Lesson for Prepositions: slides, pub and handout: docs, pub
* Write Your Own Story: docs, pub

No comments: