Saturday, September 04, 2021

I've seen both of these memes on Facebook over the past year.  Both sides have now realized the other's hypocrisy, but neither side has any interest in re-examining their own position, they just want to complain about the other.  Our current politics in a nutshell.  



[Edit: I generally try to avoid these "both-sides" -isms, as I'm firmly on the Left and believe there is a lot more crazy and hypocrisy from the Right than the Left.  But, some of the same tribalism tendencies can also be seen on the Left.  I also worry about how Facebook memes on both sides are used more for cheerleading than for honest discussion.  Also, at the risk of getting in trouble with my own side, I'm less pro-choice than I used to be now that I've become a parent.  And I also believe that the current tribalism of politics have caused some people on the Left to dismiss legitimate concerns that the Right has about government power to enforce masking.
I also just think the fact that both sides now have noticed this contradiction, and both sides are posting about it on Facebook, but neither side has any interest in dialogue or explaining itself to the other side is just has to be mentioned.  It's just so emblematic of everything.]

No comments: