Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Sigh.  I'm starting to get a few of these now.  It looks like a Google Document security upgrade that went through is now affecting all of the google drive folders that I've been sharing on this blog over the past 8 years or so.  There are so many links to change, so I'm not sure I'm going to bother going through 8 years worth of archives.  For the moment, I'm just changing the link as I get the request.

This is a useful reminder to me about how the Internet works.  Nothing is permanent.  My attempt to use this blog and Google Docs to create an archive of teaching material is doomed to impermanence.

Fortunately for the moment, it's only the link to the Google Folders that are now outdated.  The documents inside each folder are all linked to separately on this blog, and should still be accessible by the old links--a couple months ago, Google docs gave me the option of opting out of the new security update for certain documents, and I chose to opt out for all of my documents.  I didn't realize at the time that the links to the actual Google Drive folders would get updated (I don't think there was an option to opt out of that anyway)

So, for the moment, my old links to my Google drive folders no longer work, but my links to my google documents still work.  But just wait another 10 years, and there will be another update that will come through.  Sooner or later, all my links will become invalid, and all the material I've created will probably become inaccessible.  I should probably start accepting this now.

No comments: