Sunday, July 01, 2018

Story Time: ESL Listening

(TESOL Worksheets--Listening)

English Reading and Listening Practice Website
* Jack and the Beanstalk
Peter Pan Part 1
* Peter Pan Part 2
* Peter Pan Part 3
Peter Pan Complete
* For Whom the Bell Tolls
Slime Introduction
* Slime Part 1
Slime Part 2
* Slime Part 3
* Slime Part 4
* Slime Part 5
Slime Part 6
Slime Part 7
Slime Part 8
Slime Part 9
Ulysses the Sacker of Cities by Andrew Lang. Chapter 1: The Boyhood and Parents of Ulysses

Youtube Playlist HERE



I'm going to experiment with a new project--creating listening exercises for ESL students on Youtube.
This comes from a mixture of motives--both altruistic and selfish.
On the one hand, I often get students asking me for more listening practice, and I thought I could create my own archive of material to give them homework.
But also, as I get older, I am thinking that the key to making TESOL into a career is to create a specialty or area of expertise.  And I've been thinking now for some time that I would like to get in to Story Telling in ESL.  (Following on from the work of people like Krashen or Beniko Mason). 
In my own classes, I've been interested in using stories and comprehensible input to teach English for years now--see Graded Readers, Story Time, and Movie Worksheets.  I've always liked listening to stories myself, so I'm biased, but I also feel that when you get the students involved in listening to a story, you create a positive feeling about language study.  And, of course, comprehensible input is one of the best ways to learn a language.
I've also been thinking that making a career in TESOL might involve a side line in materials creation, and so I'd like to experiment with that end of it on Youtube.

I'm fully aware I'm probably making a fool of myself, but I turned 40 this past year, and I'm beginning to realize how short life is.  If you spend your whole life worrying that you'll look stupid, you'll never try anything, and then pretty soon you'll be dead.

So, I'm going to experiment with this.  Even though I realize I have limited talent, and that I'm also currently limited by a lack of sophisticated equipment.  We'll see how it goes.
I plan to create some new material for this, but the very first thing I'm going to do is go through some of the reading material I already created (Jack and the Beanstalk, Peter Pan) and read them aloud onto the camera to create a listening component.
I'll index the material at the top of this post.

No comments: