Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Roman History: Story Time ESL Listening

(TESOL Worksheets--Story TimeListeningReadingExtensive ReadingComprehensible Input)

Google Drive Folder HERE
Quizlet Folder HERE
Youtube Playlist HERE
Slow Speed Youtube Playlist HERE
Normal Speed Youtube Playlist HERE

* The Trojan War
* The Etruscan War
Religion in the Roman Republic
The Catilinarian Conspiracy
Organized Gang Warfare in the Late Roman Republic
Mutiny in Pannonia
Caligula



So, now that I've decided to go whole hog on this Story Time ESL Listening Project, I've decided I wanted to integrate my love of ancient history into the mix by creating some Story Time's about ancient Roman history.
(I'm going to alternate these in with Aesop's Fables and Brothers Grimm.  Obviously the more series I start, the more thin I'll be spreading myself.  But I'll just chip away at these projects when I have time.  It might take me years to build up an archive of decent materials, but that's okay.)
Eventually what I want to do is slowly work through the history of Rome in chronological order--starting with Aeneas and then going forward from there.  (Ancient Romans traced their ancestry all the way back to Aeneas from the Trojan War.  I was initially thinking that in order to be really thorough, I'd have to go through the whole history of the Trojan War.  But I think I might just briefly skim over it instead.  Nevertheless, all the thinking I've been doing the past few weeks on the Trojan War and its connection to Greek and Roman history was the inspiration for my vlog series on the Trojan War a couple weeks ago.)
Whilst I was thinking about this project, I also remembered I had two speeches on Roman history already written from my high school forensics days: The Etruscan War and The Mutiny in Pannonia.  So I decided to just film these to get the ball rolling.

These are decidedly NOT graded for ESL learners.  But since I already had these pre-written and laying around, I figured I would just throw them up. 
This is similar to how I started my Story Time ESL Project--the first thing I did was just go through my archives of all my previously pre-existing material before I started trying to write new and more appropriate graded material.

...although actually, the fact that I was such a bad writer in high school, and over-relied on so many cliches, might actually have value in an ESL context.  In ESL, "cliches" are "useful collocations", "formulaic language", "lexical items", etc, and as such are useful for learners.

Both of these speeches were written before I became political.  In Mutiny in Pannonia, I followed the lead of my source material, Tacitus, and portrayed the working class soldiers as common rabble, and the upper-class officers as the heroes.  I find this somewhat embarrassing now, but I didn't bother to re-write the speech and just filmed it as 16 year-old me had originally written it.

The Etruscan War is a bit over the top in its nationalism, but it's also arguably progressive.  These stories of heroism in early Republican Rome became popular again during the French Revolution.  The Republican French Revolutionaries saw parallels between the Etruscan attempt to reinstate the monarchy in ancient Rome, and the European Coalition's attempt to reinstate the monarchy in France. 

Or in other words, for anyone keeping track: one reactionary story, and one progressive story.  Hopefully they cancel each other out.

No comments: