Friday, July 20, 2018

Sick by Shel Silverstein (1974): Poems ESL Listening

(TESOL Worksheets--Poems ESL Listening)
Transcript: drivedocspub, Homework: docs, pub, Quizlet HERE
Video HERE




Sick by Shel Silverstein (1974): poems

Video: https://youtu.be/66Be8AKIZxg

Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/_6v7cqx


Suggested Use:

Step 1: Look at the vocabulary. Check any words that you don’t know in your dictionary.

Step 2: Listen to the video. (Listen only.  Don’t look at the poem yet).

Step  3: Practice the vocabulary on Quizlet 

Step 4: Watch the video again.  This time look at the poem. Read and listen at the same time.

Step 5: Practice the vocabulary on Quizlet again 

Step 6: Listen one last time.  The last time, don’t look at the poem. 


Vocabulary

ain’t, ankle, appendix, as, belly, belly button, bent, blind, blue, brain, bumps, button, cave in, chicken, chicken pox, chin, choke, cold, cough, count, dry, ear, elbow, face, fall, fall out, fill, fill up, flu, gash, gasp, go blind, green, hair, hangnail, hardly, hear, heart, hip, hole, hurt, inside, instamatic, left, leg, measles, mouth, mumps, my temperature, neck, nose, numb, pain, play, pox, purple, rain, rash, rock, shrink, sick, sliver, sneeze, spine, sprain, straight, stiff, temperature, thumb, throat, toe, tongue, tonsils, weak, wet, whisper, wrench


Numbers

one-o-eight=108 We often pronounce “0” as “o” in informal English


Non-standard

instamatic flu=There is no “instamatic flu” in English.  The child in this poem is attempting to think of a serious disease, but has gotten the name of a flu confused with the name of a camera.

Sick by Shel Silverstein (1974): poems

"I cannot go to school today,"

Said little Peggy Ann McKay.

"I have the measles and the mumps,

A gash, a rash and purple bumps.

My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,

I'm going blind in my right eye.

My tonsils are as big as rocks,

I've counted sixteen chicken pox

And there's one more - that's seventeen,

And don't you think my face looks green?

My leg is cut, my eyes are blue -

It might be instamatic flu.

I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,

I'm sure that my left leg is broke -

My hip hurts when I move my chin,

My belly button's caving in,

My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,

My appendix pains each time it rains.

My nose is cold, my toes are numb,

I have a sliver in my thumb.

My neck is stiff, my spine is weak,

I hardly whisper when I speak.

My tongue is filling up my mouth,

I think my hair is falling out.

My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,

My temperature is one-o-eight.

My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,

There is a hole inside my ear.

I have a hangnail, and my heart is -

what? What's that? What's that you say?

You say today is ... Saturday?

Good-bye, I'm going out to play!"




http://nellsdish.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/sick.jpg


Vocabulary

ain't - short for am not, is not, are not, have not, or has not. This word is not considered correct by most people:

"Is Terry here?" "No, I ain’t seen him all day."


ankle - the part of your leg that is just above your foot


appendix - a small tube-shaped part inside the body below the stomach, attached to the large intestine


as - used to compare two things, people, amounts, etc:

He's not as tall as his brother.


belly - your stomach (= organ where food is digested), or the front part of your body between your chest and your legs


belly button - the small, round, and usually hollow place on your stomach, where you were connected to your mother before birth


bent - curved and not now straight or flat:

The metal bars were bent and twisted.


blind - not able to see:

She went blind after an accident.


blue - being the same colour as the sky when there are no clouds:

Laura has beautiful blue eyes.


brain - the organ inside your head that controls your thoughts, feelings, and movements:

This part of the brain plays an important role in learning.


bump - a raised area on your body where it has been hurt by hitting something hard:

That will leave a nasty bump on the head.


button - a small, round object that you push through a hole to fasten clothing:

Don't forget to do up your buttons.


cave in - If a ceiling, roof, or other structure caves in, it breaks and falls into the space below.


chicken - a bird kept on a farm for its meat and eggs:

Outside chickens were pecking at corn.


chicken pox - a children's disease that causes a fever and red spots on the skin


chin - the bottom part of your face, below your mouth


choke - If you choke, or if something chokes you, you stop breathing because something is blocking your throat:

Children can choke on peanuts.


cold - having a low temperature:

This soup has gone cold.


cough - to make air come out of your throat with a short sound:

Paul has been coughing and sneezing all day.


count - to see how many people or things there are:

She began to count the students to make sure everyone was there.


dry - Something that is dry does not have water or liquid in it or on its surface:

Is your hair dry yet?


ear - one of the two organs on your head that you hear with:

The child whispered something in her mother's ear.


elbow - the part in the middle of your arm where it bends


face - the front part of the head where the eyes, nose, and mouth are, or the expression on this part:

She's got a long, thin face.


fall - to move down towards the ground:

Huge drops of rain were falling from the sky.


fall out - (of the hair, teeth, etc.) become detached and drop out.


fill - to make a container or space full, or to become full:

He filled the bucket with water.


fill up - to become full, or to make something become full:

Her eyes filled up with tears when she heard the bad news.


flu - an illness like a very bad cold, that makes you feel hot and weak:

I had the flu last week.


gash - a long, deep wound or cut:

He has a nasty gash under his right eye.


gasp - to breathe loudly and with difficulty trying to get more air:

He clutched his heart, gasping for breath.


go blind - to become unable to see:

It was sad to see my grandma go blind at age 67.


green - being the same colour as grass:

The traffic lights turned green.


hair - the thin, thread-like parts that grow on your head:

Mandy wants to grow her hair long.


hangnail - a bit of skin hanging loose at the side or root of a fingernail


hardly - almost not, or only a very small amount:

I was so tired that I could hardly walk.


hear - to be aware of a sound through your ears:

I could hear his voice in the distance.


heart - the organ inside your chest that sends blood around your body:

Isabel's heart was beating fast.


hip - one of the two parts of your body above your leg and below your waist:

She stood waiting with her hands on her hips.


hole - a hollow space in something, or an opening in a surface:

There's a hole in the roof.


hurt - If a part of your body hurts, it is painful:

My eyes really hurt.


inside - the part of something that is under its surface:

I cleaned the inside of the oven.


Instamatic - a brand name for a pocket-size, fixed-focus, snapshot camera


left - on or towards the side of your body that is to the west when you are facing north:

Step forward on your left leg.


leg - one of the parts of the body of a human or animal that is used for standing and walking:

My legs are tired after so much walking.


measles - an infectious disease that covers your skin in small, red spots


mouth - the part of the face that is used for eating and speaking:

Don't speak with your mouth full.


mumps - an illness that children get which makes the throat and neck swell:

He has the mumps.


neck - the part of the body between your head and your shoulders:

He was wearing a gold chain around his neck.


nose - the part of your face through which you breathe and smell:

Exhale slowly through your nose.


numb - If a part of your body is numb, you cannot feel it:

My fingers and toes were numb with cold.


pain - If something pains you, it makes you feel sad, upset, or hurt:

It pained him to see animals being treated so cruelly.


play - If children play, they enjoy themselves with toys and games:

She likes playing with her dolls.


pox - any of several viral diseases producing a rash of pimples that become pus-filled and leave pockmarks on healing.


purple - being a colour that is a mixture of red and blue:

I like purple flowers.


rain - If it rains, water falls from the sky in small drops:

It was raining all weekend.


rash - a group of small, red spots on the skin:

Certain foods give him a rash.


rock - a large piece of rock or stone:

Huge waves were crashing against the rocks.


shrink - to become smaller, or to make something smaller:

This shirt might shrink in the wash.


sick - ill:

He was off work ill for most of last week.


sliver - a thin piece of something that has come off a larger piece:

Careful about the slivers of glass.


sneeze - If you sneeze, air suddenly comes out through your nose and mouth:

He had a cold and was sneezing a lot.


spine - the long structure of bones down the centre of your back, which supports your body


sprain - to injure part of your body by twisting it, but not so badly that it breaks:

I slipped on the ice and sprained my ankle.


straight - not curved or bent:

This is a straight road.


stiff - If a part of your body is stiff, it hurts and is difficult to move:

I've got a stiff neck.


temperature - how hot or cold something is:

The room's kept at a temperature of around 20°C.


my temperature - how hot or cold your body is:

The doctor examined me and took my temperature (= measured my temperature).


thumb - the short, thick finger on the side of your hand that can touch the top of all your other fingers


throat - the back part of your mouth and the passages inside your neck:

I have a sore throat.


toe - one of the five separate parts at the end of your foot:

This is your big toe (= largest toe).


tongue - the soft thing inside your mouth that you move and use for tasting and speaking:

The little boy stuck his tongue out.


tonsils - the two small, soft parts at the back of your mouth


weak - not physically strong:

He felt too weak to sit up.


wet - covered in water or another liquid:

We got soaking wet in the rain.


whisper - to speak extremely quietly so that other people cannot hear:

She whispered something to the girl sitting next to her.


wrench - to injure part of your body by turning it suddenly:

I wrenched my right shoulder playing tennis.

No comments: