Tuesday, November 30, 2021

I saw this on Youtube, and I thought this described my online teaching situation perfectly:



The reluctance of my students to turn on their cameras has always puzzled me.  (I mean, I always turn my camera on whenever I'm in a zoom meeting.  It's just common courtesy, right?)  For the longest time I thought it was just a Vietnamese thing, but I've been discovering rather recently it's a worldwide phenomenon with teaching high school and university students online.  (I'm doing an online course right now with teachers from all over the world, and we all have the same problem with students refusing to turn on cameras.)

Interesting to see the comments on this video from both the students' and the teachers' perspectives.  Speaking as a teacher, it's difficult to teach a class when you can't see anyone, and so you can't rely on any of the normal visual cues that you would use in a face to face class. --Are they comprehending what I'm saying?  Are they still engaged, or do I need to switch up the activity?  Are they even paying attention?  Are they even still there, or have they gone to the bathroom?

I identified with some of the comments in the comment section:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11YlLJziW3I&lc=UgzbI0iIgBRs8UXHoT94AaABAg

No comments: