Monday, November 01, 2021

From VNexpress: Social media addiction stalks Vietnam
My thoughts:
1) This article is not wrong.  This addiction to social media and smart phones is so noticeable everywhere you go in Saigon.  Everywhere you go, people are just glued to their phones.   And many people are walking while looking down at their phones. Just walking around the grounds of my apartment complex, I am constantly frustrated by all the people who stop in the middle of the sidewalk to check their phones, or who almost run into me because they are looking down at their phone.
Also, as the article mentions:
"In a coffee shop, we will see young people burying their face into their phones all day without interacting directly with each other," psychologist Dr Dinh Thi Minh Chau says.
So true.  I see this every time I go to a coffeeshop in Vietnam.  (Of course, I frequently go to coffeeshops to read my book, so I guess I'm arguably being just as antisocial).
2) The article hints that this isn't only a Vietnamese problem, it's a worldwide problem.  Which is probably true.  I've been outside of the US for so long I've lost touch, but is it also this bad back in America?
3) I myself have to admit to this addiction.  In my case, it's not so much a smart phone addiction as it is a computer addiction, but I am constantly checking my social media all day.  And I've begun to realize I'm addicted to it myself.  

No comments: