Sunday, November 07, 2021

Dane and I are doing a buddy read through the Land of Oz series, and he's published his video first:

Frank L. Baum - Ozma of Oz [REVIEW/DISCUSSION]


My own review will be coming tomorrow.
Once again, you've picked out a number of interesting quotations here that I just glazed over when I was reading it.  It's good to do this as a buddy read so that you can help me to notice this stuff.  The line "He was always an ornament to society" in particular is something I completely just passed over.  Thanks for bring that to my attention--you're right, it's quite a line.
You're right, the name "Nick Chopper" was not in the first at all.  As far as I can tell from my Wikipedia research, there was a popular stage play of The Wizard of Oz in 1902, and some elements from the stage play then got integrated into the books.  "Nick Chopper" comes from the stage play.
Good point about the Yellow Submarine.  You're right, I think the illustrations do definitely have that vibe.

No comments: