Friday, May 25, 2018

Atlantis: The Lost Empire Movie Worksheets

(Movie Worksheets)

(I already posted my review of this movie last week.  Now here are the actual worksheets I used.)

Google Drive Folder HERE

Worksheets:

Part 1 (docs, pub), Part 2 (docs, pub), Part 3 (docs, pub), Part 4 (docs, pub), Part 5 (docs, pub), Part 6 (docs, pub), Part 7 (docs, pub), Part 8 (docs, pub), Part 9 (docs, pub), Part 10 (docs, pub), Part 11 (docs, pub), Part 12 (docs, pub), Part 13 (docs, pub), Part 14 (docs, pub), Part 15 (docs, pub), Part 16 (docs, pub), Part 17 (docs, pub)

Explanation:
More movie worksheets.  (For an explanation of why I think it's useful to use movies in the classroom, see here,  here, and here.)
As I wrote at the end of the Princess Mononoke post, my new job has required me to cut these worksheets down to the bare minimum.  So they are just the script and the missing words.

In my class, I use the following stages.
1) I hand out the worksheet.  I check the meaning of the words in the box by saying the definitions (in the mixed up order) and the students yell out the word.  Before watching the movie (while I'm setting up the computer) the students are encouraged to read the worksheet, and try to predict the answers.
2) We watch the movie one time with the lights off
3) I turn on the lights.  The students try to write in the missing words in the script
4) We watch the movie a second time with the lights on.  The students check their answers.  I pause the movie after each answer to check that everyone got the right answer.
5). I answer any questions the students have about the vocabulary.  Students raise their hand and can ask me about any word that they want.

Other notes:

Because the whiteboard in my classroom was located on one of the sidewalls, I found that whenever I put vocabulary up on the whiteboard, I would have to turn my back to the students, and consequently I began to lose their attention.
In an effort to keep myself located at the front of the room, I started doing vocabulary on the computer instead.
I wrote the vocabulary on Google Slides during the class as I attempted to answer the questions.  This kept the students focused on the screen at the front of the room.
It also had the bonus that I could use the same slideshow next lesson to review the vocabulary.
The vocabulary on these slides are the ones the students wanted to ask about.  They do not reflect my attempts to select the most salient or teachable vocabulary.  So I don't recommend anyone else use these.  You would be better of to create your own based off of which words your students have questions about.
Also, these were done in real-time in the classroom, so I didn't have time to think carefully about the definitions.  I just wrote down the first thing I could think of.
But for whatever it's worth, below are the ones I made.  It starts from part 7, because before part 7 I did all the vocabulary on the whiteboard.
Part 7 (slides, pub), Part 8 (slides, pub), Part 9 (slides, pub), Part 10 (slides, pub), Part 11 (slides, pub), Part 12 (slides, pub), Part 13 (slides, pub), Part 14 (slides, pub), Part 15 (slides, pub), Part 16 (slides, pub), Part 17 (slides, pub)

I used this site here as my basis for the movie script, although I adjusted it whenever I thought it was in error. 

I tried to stick to 3 pages of script per lesson.
Because I was breaking the script up by page length, and not by natural breaks in the movie, often the movie worksheets stops and starts at odd moments.
But in practice, when I was actually showing the movie, I would play enough to give contexts.  i.e. I would start the movie at the beginning of the scene each time, even if the movie worksheet only started halfway through that scene. Also on the other end, sometimes I would let the movie play a little longer if the worksheet ended in an awkward break.

No comments: