Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Make your own word search puzzle--https://www.armoredpenguin.com/wordsearch/

I've used this website a lot over the years.  And in fact, on this blog I've posted a lot of materials made using this website.  (Mostly in my Supplementary Material for Specific Textbooks posts.)  But since I'm making more of an effort to index my activities that can be used with any vocabulary set, I thought I'd create a separate post to plug this website.

I should note that not everyone in ESL is a fan of word searches.  I once had a manager who frowned on the activity because you could complete the activity without ever understanding a word of the target language.  But I find it useful with Young Learners who are in the early stages of literacy.  5 is probably too young, and 10 is too old but for around 6 to 9 year olds I find word searches work good as a pre-writing activity.  It focuses the child's attention on the written form of the word, and so I use word searches in a Young Learners vocabulary lesson as a mid-step between recognition activities and written production.

There are a lot of websites on the Internet nowadays for making wordsearch, but I've always found https://www.armoredpenguin.com/wordsearch/ to be useful.  One of the reasons I like armoredpenguin is because you can download your word searches as PDF files after you've created them, and then save them on Google Drive for future use (or to share with other teachers).  And in my Google Drive are loads of word searches made at armoured penguin.

No comments: