Tuesday, April 20, 2021

The Wire: TV Show Review (Television Addiction)



This is part of my "Television Addiction Series" which I explained about HERE.  The Television Addiction series is part of my so-called "Scripted Review Series", which I explained about HERE.  For the original 2013 post on which this is based, see: Television Addiction Part 2: Oh the TV Shows I’ve Seen!

Sorry about the abrupt ending.  My camera automatically shuts off after 30 minutes, so if I ramble on for too long, I automatically get cut-off.  In this case it's probably just as well.  There's so much to talk about with this TV show that I could've rambled on for hours if the camera didn't automatically shut off.  (And who wants to see that?)  I do regret that I wasn't able to get through my initial points more succinctly so that I could cover more ground during my 30 minutes, as I felt like I said very little of actual substance during this 30 minute ramble.  Oh well...

The Wire

          Everybody has been recommending this show to me.  Some of my best friends have been praising it very highly on Facebook (you know who you are).  Some of you even said that this wasn’t just a TV show, but that it had all the complexity of a novel, and should be regarded as such.
            I had a little bit of trouble getting into this show, partly because the ridiculous amount of praise it had gotten didn’t seem to match what I was seeing in the first season.  The first season was alright, but it wasn’t the best TV ever made.
            But a number of friends told me the show grew in complexity with each season.  So I stuck with it for the second season. 
            And by the 3rd season I was hooked.  By the 3rd season I realized this really was genuinely the most intelligent TV show I had ever seen.
            I loved how they took the idea of legalizing drugs, but they didn’t do it as just a one off episode gag.  They followed that concept throughout the whole season.  And they showed all the different sides of it—all the good things that resulted from this plan, and all the bad things that resulted from this plan. 
            Plus, right about the 3rd season, they started really getting into the politics of the city, and that was interesting. 
            And then the 4th season, when they took on the public school system, was also really well done.
            The fifth season dropped the ball a little bit, but by that point I was hooked anyway, so I kept watching.

No comments: