Thursday, April 22, 2021

Boardwalk Empire: A review of the first two seasons (Television Addiction)



This is part of my "Television Addiction Series" which I explained about HERE.  The Television Addiction series is part of my so-called "Scripted Review Series", which I explained about HERE.  For the original 2013 post on which this is based, see: Television Addiction Part 2: Oh the TV Shows I’ve Seen!


Boardwalk Empire (First 2 seasons)

            Another show I started watching because everyone at work seemed to like it so much.
            I’ve decided I like this show, but it tries my patience at times.  I like the gangsters, I like the various tie ins with real historical figures and real gangster history.
            I can’t stand the soap opera parts.  James Darmody and his relationship with his wife?  Nucky and his relationship with that Irish woman?  Van Alden and his relationship with his wife?  Boy did all those subplots really bore me to death.
            Also, I never thought I would say this but I’m beginning to get bored with all the gratuitous violence.  Killing off a character suddenly is a great way to shock the audience, but if it becomes over-used, it loses its shock value.
            I’m going to stay with this show for the moment, but it’s really borderline for me.

No comments: