Sunday, December 02, 2018

Vlog: Scripted Book Reviews


I ramble on and get incoherent in this video, so perhaps I should supplement this with a written statement.
I've been experimenting with video reviewing the past couple years.  At first my original idea was that the video reviews would act as a supplement to the written reviews on this blog.

I've been finding, however, that the Youtube videos are getting more views and comments than the written reviews on this blog.  I'm gradually coming to the realization that no one really reads blogs anymore, but everyone is on Youtube all the time.  
It's nice getting a lot of engagement with my reviews, but I've been feeling guilty for some time about how lazy my Youtube videos are.  I just turn on the camera, ramble, and then turn the camera off and upload the raw footage directly.  But that doesn't mean I can't get better in the future, right?

I've been thinking for some time about scripting out my video reviews more carefully--I mentioned that back in this vlog post-- but I never got around to it, and instead I've been focusing my energy on making ESL Listening materials.  
But then, it occurred to me, I already had a scripted review already in the form of the written review I write for this blog.  It wasn't a video script per se, but it was perhaps better than nothing.

My original thought was that for each new book review, I would film two videos--one in my normal free flowing rambling style, one reading out from the blogpost script, and see which one got more engagement.  I was originally thinking I would do this going forward for all new videos, but then I got the idea to go back and do it for all the video reviews I've already done.  After all, the blogpost is still there waiting to be used.
And then I got the idea to take all the book and movie reviews I've done over the years, and make videos out of them. Most of these old reviews are languishing in obscurity in my archives, so maybe I could breathe fresh life into them by putting them up on Youtube.
Initially I was thinking to go back to the start of the book review project in 2006.  But then I thought about it, and I also have several book and movie reviews on this blog from 2003 to 2005, before I made an official project out of it.  I could put up those as well.  And then I thought some more, and I have several book reviews from high school and college on my Papers I Wrote Blog.  

Now, not all of this old stuff is good.  Many of my reviews in the early days were junk.  But, for better or for worse, I tend to be a completist in these things.  (Those of you who know me well already know about this personality quirk).  Once I start a project, I don't like to leave anything out.
So, I'm going to go through and make videos out of everything.  I'll start back with my high school reports, and then work forward in chronological order through college, and then through my early blogging days.  
I'll also be posting the Youtube videos on this blog as I do them, which is why I'm writing a long explanation here.  (To explain what is coming in the future).  I've got hundreds of old reviews, so this project will take a long time.  Plus, I'm anticipating that I'm going to be very busy this year, and won't have time to post regularly.  So maybe it will take me a few years to work through my backlog.  But that's okay.  No hurry.  This is just a hobby after all.  

Playlist HERE.  

6 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Well, this lonely commenter mourns the shift to video. I can only justify time on YouTube if the video in question is instructional and improves my skills in some way. If I just watched stuff willy-nilly I'd be there all day.

But do what you gotta do, man.

Whisky Prajer said...

It's interesting that people are generally quick to comment on videos. I suspect one reason for it is facial recognition -- you see a person expressing himself, so you see pretty quickly if this guy is blowing hot air or being awkwardly genuine (or anywhere else on the spectrum of human expression). That "genuine" business is not always clear in the written word -- I get reeled in quite frequently for taking the written word at face value, when the author might just be putting us on, etc.

You've got me wondering if I should give "vlogging" a try. Were I younger I think I'd jump in, but at this point I blog to keep my writing chops passable. Not sure I have it in me to perform, as well.

Joel Swagman said...

I'll put my random thoughts into bullet points:
* First of all, thank you for being the lonely commenter over all these years. It's been nice to get your feedback.
* I'm not going to stop blogging. Hopefully the videos will just be in addition to all the regular blogging I'm already doing. ....that said, I'm not sure how the upcoming baby is going to affect everything. Could well be I won't have time for either vlogging or blogging in the future, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime I'll try to get as much done while I still can.
* I'll be honest, I have doubts about whether the vlogging is a good idea. I worry a little bit that I'm just making an idiot of myself. But on the other hand, if I worry too much about these things, I never accomplish anything in life.
* You could do what I've been doing. Write a blog post, and then, after the blog post is written, film a video talking about the same topic. It's a nice way to have your cake and eat it too. You have the blog post, but you also have the video supplement.

Whisky Prajer said...

Re: vlogging -- I've thought about it. I grew up wanting to be a DJ, so vlogging is a small step removed from that youthful ambition. At this point in my life, though, I am reluctant to put my face on the world wide web. Not sure why, exactly. I'm giving up every other aspect of my privacy, why not this one also?

Whisky Prajer said...

Congrats on your pending fatherhood, btw -- awesome news!

Joel Swagman said...

Thank you. My long career as a prolific blogger might soon be coming to an end... But I had a good run. I'll try to keep up the occasional post