Friday, December 11, 2020

Lesson on Compound Nouns

(TESOL Worksheets--nouns)
Google Drive Folder HERE
Lead in: slides, pub
Worksheet: docs, pub
Backs to the Board: slides, pub
Quizlet
[Notes: This was designed to supplement Q Skills 5 Listening and Speaking Unit 2 Vocabulary Skill: Compound Words p.46-47, and all the vocabulary in this lesson reflects the vocabulary from those pages of the textbook.  Nevertheless, I think this lesson could perhaps stand independently, so I'm also indexing it with my general material for nouns.  During the lead-in, students are shown pictures of old people playing video games, and asked to talk about the relationship between old people and video games in their country.  Then, they are asked to listen to the story, and answer the question of what is the relationship between old people and video games in the story.  Then, they are given the transcript, and match the words to the blanks, and then check their answers by listening to the story again.  Then followed by more practice with Backs to the Board and Quizlet.]



I live in a small neighborhood in the (1)_____________ of the American Midwest.  My neighbor is a  (2)_____________.  He was born in 1946, so he is a  (3)_____________ now.  Like most senior citizens, he doesn’t like  (4)_____________.   “It’s just a waste of time,” he says.  He doesn’t realize how useful computer games are for  (5)_____________. I’ve met lots of people playing computer games. And when you play online, it can even be a  (6)_____________experience, because you can meet people from all over the world.  

I wanted to give the senior citizens in my neighborhood an  (7)_____________ of what the benefits are.  I thought it would be a nice  (8)_____________ program.  I also thought that my neighborhood could be a  (9)_____________ for this outreach.  I thought that if it worked well, I could take the outreach to many other areas.

I gave the presentation and everyone enjoyed it.  My neighbor later told me that learning all about computer games was an  (10)_____________ experience for him. 





I live in a small neighborhood in the grasslands of the American Midwest.  My neighbor is a baby-boomer.  He was born in 1946, so he is a senior citizen now.  Like most senior citizens, he doesn’t like computer games.   “It’s just a waste of time,” he says.  He doesn’t realize how useful computer games are for networking. I’ve met lots of people playing computer games. And when you play online, it can even be a cross-cultural experience, because you can meet people from all over the world.  

I wanted to give the senior citizens in my neighborhood an overview of what the benefits are.  I thought it would be a nice outreach program.  I also thought that my neighborhood could be a testing ground for this outreach.  I thought that if it worked well, I could take the outreach to many other areas.

I gave the presentation and everyone enjoyed it.  My neighbor later told me that learning all about computer games was an eye-opening experience for him. 


No comments: