Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Today in: Hey! I know that Guy!
From Vulture.com: Avatar: The Last Airbender Will Always Feel Relevant by Adam Fleming Petty

I don't know Adam well.  I met him one or two times during the summer of 2006 (when I was back in Grand Rapids).  But during the one or two times we talked, I found him a kindred spirit with many similar interests, so we've stayed in vague touch on social media since then.
He was a mutual friend of Phil Christman, which is how I made his acquaintance.  (And also, coincidentally, how I found out about this article).



As for my thoughts on Avatar: The Last Airbender....
I have numerous friends my own age who have recommended this series to me as being worthwhile despite being made for children.  So I attempted to watch it. 
I attempted to binge Avatar: The Last Airbender back during the time I was binging a lot of DVD sets in 2012.  (Looking back at my massive write up on all the DVD sets I binged, it looks like I neglected to mention Avatar.  But that was an oversight.)
I regret to say I couldn't get into it.  Don't get me wrong, it did strike me as very sophisticated for children's entertainment.  I was reminded of how fascinated I was as a child by the ongoing storyline in The Mysterious Cities of GoldAnd Avatar: The Last Airbender was way more sophisticated in its storyline than that, so I can only imagine the impression it makes on people who encounter it as children.

But... I didn't find it remotely suitable for adults--the pacing, humor, plotlines, et ceter were all for children.  Especially in this day and age of the so-called golden age of content, when there is so much other choices available, I couldn't understand why adults would choose to spend their time watching this.

But, if  really smart guy like Adam can give it such a positive write-up, perhaps I should give it a re-evaluation?

No comments: