Sunday, June 28, 2020

Introduce Yourself Listening and Speaking Exercise

(TESOL Worksheets--Speaking, Listening)
Google: docs, pub
[Notes: In my own class, I used this with Life Elementary lesson 1E Introduce Yourself p.17.
Originally in my own class this contained all authentic information about my own life.  I've gone back and changed all the information to a fictional teacher named Kevin John Smith for a couple reasons.  The main reason being caution about publishing too much personal information on the web.  The second reason is so other teachers can use it more easily.
Anyone wishing to borrow this activity for their own classes has a choice.  They can present the fictional character Kevin John Smith, or they can re-write it for their own life.  I think student interest is generally higher if the teacher re-writes it for their own life.
I did this in five stages:
Stage 1: Gist Listening.  I read out the information, and the students count how many people are in my family.
Stage 2: Detailed Listening: I hand out the blank chart.  Students listen to the information again, and fill out the chart.
Stage 3: Fill in the Gaps: I hand out the gapped listening, and then readout the information again.  Students fill in the gaps.  (I've deliberately tried to draw attention to the small words that I think students have a tendency to get wrong in their own production.)
Stage 4: Give out another copy of the blank chart.  Students fill it in with their own details.
Stage 5: Students introduce themselves to each other in mingle activity.


First name


Middle name


Surname


Job


Place of work


Family













University


Subject of study


Languages



My first name is Kevin.  My middle name is John.  My surname is Smith.  I am 33 years old.  I’m from England, but I live in Japan now.  In the past, I have lived in England, Spain, and France.
I work as an English teacher at the International School
My family lives in England.  They live in a city.  My father works as a teacher, and my mother works as a doctor.  I have one older sister and one younger sister.  My older sister works as a shop assistant, and my younger sister works as a chef.
My older sister has 2 boys, so I have 2 nephews, and my younger sister has 3 girls, so I have 3 nieces.
I am married.  My wife is from Spain.  She used to work as a business woman, but now she works as a teacher. Her name is Maria.
When I was a student, I studied at Central University.  I studied Math and History.
My first language is English.  I can speak Spanish as a second language.  Right now, I am learning Japanese.


_____ first name _____ Kevin.  My middle name is John.  My surname is Smith.  I _____ 33 years old.  I’m from England, _____ I live in Japan now.  In the past, I have lived in England, Spain, _____ France.
I work as an English teacher _____ the International School
_____ family lives in England.  They live in a city.  My father works as a teacher, _____ my mother works as a doctor.  I have one older sister and one younger sister.  My older sister works _____ a shop assistant, and my younger sister works as a chef.
My older sister has 2 boys, so I have 2 nephews, and my younger sister has 3 girls, so I have 3 nieces.
When I was a student, I studied _____ Central University.  I studied Math and History.
I am married.  My wife _____ from Spain.  She used to work as a business woman, _____ now she works as a teacher. _____ name is Maria.
My first language is English.  I can speak Spanish as a second language.  Right now, I am learning Japanese.


No comments: