Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Crossword Puzzles for Practicing Labels on Past Tense Verbs

(TESOL Worksheets--Past Forms)
[More Worksheets for practicing metalanguage.  My previous reservations still hold true, but since these words were being used in the textbook, I designed these crosswords to help the students learn the verb labels.
All the crosswords were made using amoredpenguin.com
In the first one, the students are given the verb phrase and must supply the metalanguage. Google Docs PDF here, Answer Key Here
In the second one, the students are given the metalanguage and must supply the verb phrase. Google Doc PDF here, Answer Key Here
I also decided I should make at least one sheet using irregular verbs so the distinction between which forms use V2 and which use V3 is shown more clearly. Google Docs PDF here, Answer Key Here
 The questions are below. ]


Crossword Puzzle 1: Sentence is given, students supply the metalanguage
I kicked the ball. Answer: Past Simple
The ball was kicked by me. Answer: Past Simple Passive
I have kicked the ball. Answer: Present Perfect
The ball has been kicked by me. Answer: Present Perfect Passive
I had kicked the ball. Answer: Past Perfect
The ball had been kicked by me. Answer: Past Perfect Passive
I was kicking the ball. Answer: Past Continuous
The ball was being kicked by me. Answer: Past Continuous Passive
I have been kicking the ball.  Answer: Present Perfect Continuous
The ball has been being kicked by me. Answer: Present Perfect Continuous Passive
I had been kicking the ball. Answer: Past Perfect Continuous
The ball had been being kicked by me.  Answer: Past Perfect Continuous Passive
Crossword Puzzle 2: Metalanguage is given, students supply the verb from. Regular Verbs
I _________ the ball. [Past Simple] Answer: kicked
The ball _______________ by me. [Past Simple Passive] Answer: was kicked
I ______________ the ball. [Present Perfect] Answer: have kicked
The ball __________________ by me. [Present Perfect Passive] Answer: has been kicked
I ______________  the ball. [Past Perfect] Answer: had kicked
The ball ____________ by me.  [Past Perfect Passive] Answer: had been kicked
I _____________  the ball. [ Past Continuous] Answer: was kicking
The ball _______________ by me. [Past Continuous Passive] Answer: was being kicked
I ________________ the ball.  [Present Perfect Continuous] Answer: have been kicking
The ball ___________________ by me. [Present Perfect Continuous Passive] Answer: has been being kicked
I ________________ the ball. [Past Perfect Continuous] Answer: had been kicking
The ball _______________ by me.  [Past Perfect Continuous Passive] Answer: had been being kicked
Crossword Puzzle 3: Metalanguage is given, students supply the verb from. Irregular Verbs
I _________ the letter. [Past Simple] Answer: wrote
The letter _______________ by me. [Past Simple Passive] Answer: was written
I ______________ the letter. [Present Perfect] Answer: have written
The letter __________________ by me. [Present Perfect Passive] Answer: has been written
I ______________  the letter. [Past Perfect] Answer: had written
The letter ____________ by me.  [Past Perfect Passive] Answer: had been written
I _____________  the letter. [ Past Continuous] Answer: was writing
The letter _______________ by me. [Past Continuous Passive] Answer: was being written
I ________________ the letter.  [Present Perfect Continuous] Answer: have been writing
The letter ___________________ by me. [Present Perfect Continuous Passive] Answer: has been being written
I ________________ the letter. [Past Perfect Continuous] Answer: had been writing
The letter _______________ by me.  [Past Perfect Continuous Passive] Answer: had been being written



















No comments: