Monday, January 18, 2021

Introduction to the Old Testament by Christine Hayes: Review of a Youtube Series

So, this is inspired by my so-called "scripted" Youtube review series, in which I am filming all my old reviews on this blog and making them in to Youtube videos (as I explained about HERE.)
In this case, however, I never actually wrote a review of Introduction to the Old Testament by Christine Hayes.  I just posted a link to it and recommended it.  But as I'm gradually working my way through my back-catalogue of old reviews, I decided that this lecture series needed some kind of review.  In part because this lecture series had a huge impact on me, and in part because I reference this lecture series in every subsequent book about religion that I've reviewed.  So I wanted to give it its own separate review on the Youtube channel before I start using it as a reference in my subsequent Youtube reviews.
Because I didn't have a review of this already made, I just did a rambling review where I turned on the camera and just talked.  I re-listened to the lecture series prior to filming this video, but I didn't make any attempt to write down or organize my thoughts prior to turning on the camera, and it shows.  I rambled on for 30 minutes, and then my camera automatically shut off.  (My camera automatically shuts off after 30 minutes.)  And I didn't get a chance to talk about even half of the interesting stuff in this lecture series.  But I suppose that's just as well.  There's no point in me recounting every interesting point in the lecture series, when you can just go and listen to the lecture series yourself

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Thanks for raising this series again. I gathered most of my biblical knowledge by an osmosis of sorts, drinking beer with my friends who were inching toward their doctorates on the matter. I miss this sort of chatter, frankly. I will definitely give it my attention.

Joel Swagman said...

Recommended! I found this series fascinating. I suspect you will too.