Monday, January 25, 2021

This Sceptred Isle Radio Show: Review

This is the same situation as my review of Introduction to the Old Testament by Christine Hayes, which I posted a few days ago.  Meaning, this is inspired by my project of making videos out of all my old review posts, but I never actually properly reviewed This Sceptred Isle on this blog.  I listened to it several times through in the years 2008-2015.  (I had it on regular rotation during my last couple years in Japan, my year in Australia, and my 4 years in Cambodia.) And I talked about it tangentially in several posts (most notably here and here), but never properly reviewed it, because back in those days I hadn't yet started regularly reviewing the various audio series I listened to.  But looking back, it seems like this is an omission.  After all, I've gotten most of my knowledge of British history from this series.  It feels like I should talk about it somewhere.  
Plus, in my blog reviews, I talked about this series in conjunction with my review of Monarchy by David Starkey, but for the purposes of Youtube reviews, I wanted to separate them out into two different videos.  So I decided to film a review of This Sceptred Isle.
I wanted to re-listen to This Sceptred Isle before making this video review, but I can't find it. (I don't know where my electronic copy is.  It's on one of my old USB sticks somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.)  I tried to find a copy online, but I can't.
I'm surprised this show is not more accessible, to be honest.  I know it's online somewhere on paid services, and I'm sure it's on pirate servers somewhere.  But I'm surprised there aren't free versions on Youtube.  After all, this is a BBC radio show that's 25 years old now (W).  Is BBC still safeguarding the copyright on Youtube? Apparently they are.
So, I just turned on the video camera and spoke from memory about what I remembered about the radio show.  Not my best review, but oh well.

No comments: