Thursday, December 22, 2016

IELTS Express Upper Intermediate Second Edition Unit 1 Speaking p.15-17

(Supplementary Materials for Specific Textbooks--IELTS Express Upper Intermediate)


Treasure Hunt: drive, docs, pub
Treasure Hunt Feedback on PowerPoint: drive, slides, pub
Sample Speaking Test Answers--good and bad: drive, docs, pub



1. What four criteria will you be evaluated on in the IELTS speaking test?
2. TRUE or FALSE.  If the examiner doesn’t like your answer, he will mark it as wrong.
3. What should you refer to in order to help you provide more information and give a fuller answer in Part 2?
4. How long will you have to prepare your talk in part 2?
5. In part 2, you will be asked to speak continuously for how long?
6. In parts 1 and 2, you will use a variety of speech functions.  What are three examples?
7.  What are 3 things you should do for part 1?  (Your textbook mentions several exam strategies, but you only need to write down 3 to get this question right.)
8. What should you ensure that you pronounce correctly?
9.  TRUE or FALSE: For part 2, you should make your ideas flow together, and try to connect the different points on the card.
10.  How many parts does the speaking test consist of?

Treasure Hunt  
The teacher has hidden 10 questions.  See if you can find and answer the questions.  The first team to finish will get a prize.
All the questions come from pages 15, 16, and 17 of your textbook, so make sure you take your textbooks with you.  The answers to some questions may be the same.

1. A)_____________________________________________________________________________
   B)_____________________________________________________________________________
   C)_____________________________________________________________________________
   D)._____________________________________________________________________________

2._____________________________________________________________________________

3. _____________________________________________________________________________

4. _____________________________________________________________________________

5. _____________________________________________________________________________

6. . A)_____________________________________________________________________________
    B)_____________________________________________________________________________
   C)_____________________________________________________________________________

7. A)_____________________________________________________________________________
   B)_____________________________________________________________________________
   C)_____________________________________________________________________________

8. _____________________________________________________________________________

9. _____________________________________________________________________________

10. _____________________________________________________________________________
Answers:
1.  fluency and coherence, lexical resource, grammatical range and accuracy, and pronunciation
2.  False
3.  your notes
4.  1 minute
5.  1-2 minutes
6.  giving personal information, describing and explaining, and expressing preferences
7.  Introduce yourself briefly
Listen to the examiner’s questions carefully
Add extra information to extend your answers
Use a variety of speech functions
Keep the marking criteria in mind
Speak fluently, connecting your ideas together logically
Make longer, more grammatically complex sentences
Use a wide range of vocabulary
Ensure you pronounce keywords correctly
8.  keywords
9. True
10. 3 parts
You are going to watch a sample IELTS Part 1.  Listen to the interview, and try to give the candidate a score based on this criteria.

Band
Fluency and coherence
Lexical resource
Grammatical range and accuracy

Pronunciation

7


Can speak at length without any effort
Uses a range of words like ‘and’ ‘but’ ‘therefore’ to link ideas together.


Uses less common and idiomatic vocabulary accurately, has knowledge of collocation.

Has enough vocabulary to talk about a wide variety of topics.


May make some errors but frequently produces error free sentences.

Uses a range of complex grammatical structures.

6


Is willing to speak at length but finds it difficult sometimes


Has a wide enough vocabulary to talk about a range of topics.

May use some inappropriate words.


Uses a mix of simple and complex sentences.

Makes frequent mistakes with complex structures but can still be understood.


Uses a range of pronunciation features (individual phoneme sounds, intonation, stress etc) but not always accurately.

5


Produces simple speech fluently but has problems with more complicated language.
Uses repetition, self-correction or slow speech to keep going.




Can talk about a range of topics but cannot really adapt their vocabulary to different situations.


Uses simple structures reasonably accurately.

Tries to use more complex structures but thee may be difficult to understand.


4



Cannot speak without very long pauses.

Links basic sentences but may be very repetitive




Can only talk about familiar topics.


Only uses basic structures.  Some of them are accurate.



Uses a limited range of pronunciation features (individual phoneme sounds, intonation, stress etc) but is difficult to understand.

Example IELTS Test

Examiner: Do you have any brothers or sisters?


Examiner: Do you enjoy studying English?


Examiner: Do you do any sport?


Examiner: Have you got a job?


Examiner: What do you plan to do after you finish your studies?


Examiner: Where are you from?


Examiner: What’s your favorite subject?

Example IELTS Test

Examiner: Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Candidate: Yes

Examiner: Do you enjoy studying English?

Candidate: Yes

Examiner: Do you do any sport?

Candidate: No

Examiner: Have you got a job?

Candidate: Yes

Examiner: What do you plan to do after you finish your studies?

Candidate: Work

Examiner: Where are you from?

Candidate: France

Examiner: What’s your favorite subject?

Candidate: Math
Example IELTS Test

Examiner: Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Candidate:   Yeah, I just have one brother.  He has two children—sons, Juan and Jose.  That makes me the uncle!  I really like playing with his children, but it’s always good to give them back at the end of the day!  When I’m older, I’d like to have some children myself, maybe two boys and a girl.  I think that having children is a lot of hard work, but it’s worth it.

Examiner: Do you enjoy studying English?

Candidate: I really enjoy speaking it, and I like it when I learn a new word which is pretty useful or is funny in some ways.  But it’s very hard and sometimes I feel like I don’t get better.  I’m not making a lot of progress.  I prefer studying economics, which is a subject I’m hoping to study when I go to University next year.  You know, it’s really interesting to learn about how the economies of all the countries of the world are connected.

Examiner: Do you do any sport?

Candidate: Not really.  I’m not very sporty.  I prefer to spend time playing on my computer.  In fact, I really enjoy video games.  I got a new game recently—it’s really great.  You’re a criminal and you have to drive your car really fast about a city, and then sometimes escape from the police.  It’s very exciting.  Sometimes, I play with my friends, but it’s quite difficult to arrange our schedules, so I often end up just playing alone.

Examiner: Have you got a job?

Candidate: I work in McDonald’s .  It’s a part-time job.  It’s very good because it gives me time to study and I meet people to practice my speaking—you know, talking with my colleagues, and with the customers.

Examiner: What do you plan to do after you finish your studies?

Candidate: I don’t know exactly what I want to do, but when I’m older I’d like to work for an international agency—I think it would be a good job, interesting, with lots of opportunity for travelling—but right now I have to study hard for the IELTS, to go to university, to get my degree.

Examiner: Where are you from?

Candidate: I’m from Sao Paulo in Brazil.  I’ve travelled to different cities with my job.  I once went to Tokyo for a meeting.  That was an amazing experience, so different from Sao Paulo.  The people there were so polite and kind.

Examiner: What’s your favorite subject?

Candidate: I really enjoy science subjects: chemistry, physics, and biology.  My favourite subject was physics at school, but I’m planning to study computer science in the future.




No comments: