Friday, July 07, 2023

Index

Recently, I've discovered the Youtube channel Easy English: https://www.youtube.com/@easyenglish551 and I've found it very useful for introducing grammar points.

I generally try to start each grammar lesson by putting the grammar point in some sort of  context--that is, some sort of model  reading or listening that shows the grammar point being used.  As I described in this workshop here on presenting grammar.
The problem with a lot of textbooks, however, is that they don't include a context for the grammar.  They just have an information box with the grammar rules, and then they have some practice exercises after it.
Which means if I want to present the grammar point in context, I have to create the context for it myself.
In the past, I used to spend a lot of time designing my own context.  (That is, writing out my own text that I could use in class to illustrate the grammar point.  See, for example HERE)
But I've recently discovered the Easy English Youtube channel that has conversations created to illustrate simple grammar points.





They don't have every grammar point, but they've got a few, and it's worth checking out if you have a grammar point you need to put into context. Recently I used their videos on The Future Perfect Tense and Future Continuous Tense when I needed to teach these tenses, and the textbook I was using (Impact 4) didn't provide any sort of context for them.  

Now, these videos aren't perfect.  The animation is stilted, the dialogue is a bit unnaturally slow, the context is sometimes a bit cheesy, but... they work.  At least they worked for me.  They adequately provided a context in which I could draw my student's attention to the grammar point being used.

The videos are far too long to watch entirely in class, so I only showed a portion of them.  (One or two minutes is plenty for illustrating the grammar point.  You don't need to watch the whole 7 minutes).
I tried to do this in the classic CELTA way.  First I had the students watch the videos for gist.  Then I had them answer comprehension questions.  Then I handed them out a gapfill worksheet to try to get them to notice the grammar.  (They had to write in the missing words, then listen again and check.)

So, for example, HERE is the worksheet I used for the video on the Future Continuous Tense:

https://youtu.be/eOs0cZ12Fhk


I am so excited to visit New York City. I ____________  there for over a week. 


You're so lucky. I've always wanted to go there. I wish I could go with you, but I____________  my cousin's children next week. ____________  in New York?


I ____________  all the sights, of course. I ____________  everything from the Empire State Building to the Statue of Liberty.


That sounds like fun. ____________  anyone with you?


Yes, I ____________  with someone very special to me.


Oh, who is it?


I ____________  Carl, my boyfriend. He's so nice and funny I'm sure we'll have a good time.


I didn't know you were dating Carl. Is your relationship getting serious? 


Not yet, but I thought it would be fun to go with him. Going to New York together ____________  so romantic. I ____________  to see if any sparks fly between us.


How romantic. I  bet you____________  in love in no time. Next thing you know, you____________  down the aisle together.

https://youtu.be/eOs0cZ12Fhk


I am so excited to visit New York City. I will be staying there for over a week. 


You're so lucky. I've always wanted to go there. I wish I could go with you, but I'll be babysitting my cousin's children next week. What will you be doing in New York?


I will be seeing all the sights, of course. I will be touring everything from the Empire State Building to the Statue of Liberty.


That sounds like fun. Will you be taking anyone with you?


Yes, I will be travelling with someone very special to me.


Oh, who is it?


I will be taking Carl, my boyfriend. He's so nice and funny I'm sure we'll have a good time.


I didn't know you were dating Carl. Is your relationship getting serious? 


Not yet, but I thought it would be fun to go with him. Going to New York together will be so romantic. I will be watching to see if any sparks fly between us.


How romantic. I  bet you'll be falling in love in no time. Next thing you know, you'll be walking down the aisle together.


No comments: