Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Riot on Sunset Strip: Movie Review

(Movie Reviews


This is my first time watching this movie, so according to my new rules, I'm doing this as a video only review.  (Actually if you watch the video, I do say I may have seen this movie before, but I'm not sure when.  So for the purposes of this blog, I'll count it as a first time watch.)



Addendum: Sorry, I know this isn't my best commentary.  I was tired when I filmed it.  As I stated when laying out my new rules, going forward there are going to be a lot of videos that get filmed when I am tired, as I'm trying to just film these reviews in whatever time I have, rather than wait until the ideal time.
But one particular point that I wanted to make, and then completely forgot to talk about while the camera was running, is that it's weird how this movie starts out pretending to be an exploration of youth culture, and halfway through becomes Straw Dogs.  It's like the primary message of the film is that the new counterculture is hiding a bunch of sexual predators who are going to take advantage of our pure virginal daughters.  And then, I was going to speculate about how prevalent this theme has been in youth culture films through the ages.  I mean, the main tension in Kids was also about a sexual predator, right?
I've never seen Spring Breakers, but I got the impression that the loss of sexual innocence was one of the main themes of that movie.  (Or am I wrong?)  
How many other youth culture movies are also about sexual predators?  (I feel like there's more, but I can't think of others right now.)

Oh well, not my best review, but according to my new rules, if I rewatch this movie after 2 years, I can take another crack at reviewing and dissecting it.

Links
Watch this movie on Youtube here (before it gets taken down): https://youtu.be/vDztcEJDPu8

See also my review of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: https://youtu.be/Bvv03CTZi34 (I mention this movie in my video to compare the depiction of 1960s demonstrators in movies now versus contemporary movies.)

For more info, see the Wikipedia page on this movie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_on_Sunset_Strip

...and also the real Sunset Strip curfew riots https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Strip_curfew_riots

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

I remember seeing Spring Breakers in the theatre. It was my impression the girls were sexually experienced but preferred sexual congress with each other to what the boys were, um, offering. But I could be wrong -- it's been some years.

Joel Swagman said...

Well, I've never seen it even once, so you're memory beats mine.
I probably shouldn't be citing movies I've never even seen to prove my point. I think there are probably better examples out there.
Thanks for setting me straight, Whisky.