Thursday, August 19, 2021

New episode of Trainwreckords out:

TRAINWRECKORDS: "Passage" by Carpenters


I love this whole series by Youtuber Todd in the Shadows.  (Link to the complete playlist HERE).  
For whatever reason, negative reviews are really fun to watch.  And plus, Todd in the Shadows gets into some interesting history behind these bands.
I've never linked to these videos before, but I really should have recommended them a long time ago.  They're all interesting, but the ones I found the most fascinating were:
TRAINWRECKORDS: "MTV Unplugged No. 2.0" by Lauryn Hill (an album I actual bought when it first came out)
TRAINWRECKORDS: "Mardi Gras" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (I had no idea about the drama going on in this band, so this episode was really interesting.)
TRAINWRECKORDS: "Two the Hard Way" by Cher and Gregg Allman (I had heard a few jokes about this celebrity couple, but didn't really know much more about it than that. My high school classmates had been big fans of the Allman brothers, so I found this video interesting.)
But they're all interesting.  The whole playlist is interesting.  

As for The Carpenters:
The Carpenters were a band I never heard of growing up.  I grew up on oldies stations in the 80s and 90s, but I think the reason I never heard of The Carpenters is because those oldie stations played hits from the 50s and 60s, and The Carpenters were from the 70s.  I never heard of The Carpenters until my 12th Grade Psychology teacher spent 3 successive class periods showing us a TV movie about The Carpenters.  (I think it was The Karen Carpenter Story--the Wikipedia description matches what I remember.)  He showed us the movie as a way to illustrate anorexia, which Karen Carpenter suffered from, and which ultimately killed her.

Other than that, I don't remember ever hearing anything about The Carpenters.  Aside from that Tommy Boy scene of course:



But then, I moved to Japan, and The Carpenters were so popular in Japan it was ridiculous.  The Carpenters music was everywhere in Japan (as I complained about in this blog post here).  
So, after 8 years in Japan, I have definitely listened to enough Carpenters music to last me a lifetime!

No comments: