Saturday, January 28, 2023

Sni Bong by Dengue Fever: Sharing Music I Like

(Sharing Music I Like)



Sorry, I know I just got done posting an entry for "Sharing Music I Like", but you know how it is.  Sometimes posting about one thing makes you remember that you want to post about another thing.
When posting about Australian music in the previous post, it made me realize that I've never shared a lot of the Cambodian music I like.
Just like I got into Japanese oldies when I lived in Japan, I also got into Cambodian oldies when I lived in Cambodia.  1960s Cambodian pop was really interesting--see this article HERE.  

Dengue Fever is an American/Cambodian group that started out by doing modern sounding covers of Cambodian hits from the 1960s.  See Wikipedia article on them HERE.
When I was newly arrived in Cambodia, a friend of mine gave me a copy of 3 Dengue Fever's albums on a USB stick.  And I fell instantly in love with the way they combined Cambodian oldies with a more modern electric sound.  I listened to those albums over and over again.  I also saw Dengue Fever live in concert when they came to Phnom Penh.
I've mentioned Dengue Fever a couple of times on this blog before (HERE and HERE), but it occurs to me I haven't been linking to them as much as I should have.  They've got a lot of really great songs.

Their Youtube channel is HERE.  Although unfortunately it doesn't look like all their music from their albums is on their channel.  I wonder if international copyright law if preventing them from uploading their covers of 1960s Cambodian music?  (For example, Dengue Fever's cover of Cambodian oldie Shave Your Beard by Ros Sereysothea is not on their channel--but it can be found on someone else's channel here.  I don't know what's going on.)

But anyway, of the songs that are on Dengue Fever's Youtube channel, Sni Bong is one of my favorites. It's really catchy.  I used to listen to this song over and over again when I was new in Cambodia.
Although Dengue Fever got their start by covering old Cambodian songs, I don't believe Sni Bong is based on an older song.  (Someone let me know if I'm wrong.)  I think Sni Bong is an original they did.
Give it a listen.  It's a really captivating song, isn't it?

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

I like that! especially the drums and guitars -- very percussive.

Joel Swagman said...

I'm always happy when one of my recommendations is a hit. Thank you for that.