Monday, March 02, 2020

This made me laugh, so I thought I would share it.  Hopefully someone else will get a chuckle out of it.
After having abandoned Don Quixote for several months, I've been trying to pick it up again.  (I've only got about 200 pages to the end.  I will finish this book.  I will.)
Because it's been over 2 years since I started this book, I'm beginning to forget what was in the beginning.  So I've been listening to the audiobook on Youtube to try to review what happened in the earlier part of the book.
The audiobok is available freely on Youtube by Librivox recording.
If you're familiar with Librivox, you know that they make free audiobooks of books that are in the public domain with volunteer readers.
I remember when I first discovered Librivox years ago.  Free audio books on the Internet?  That seemed like the greatest thing ever.  I love free audiobooks.
But then after 2 minutes of listening to Librivox, it was suddenly obvious why Librivox could never replace commercial audiobooks, and also equally obvious that there's a reason why commercial audiobooks use professional voice actors.  The average person just can't read outloud in a way that is engaging to listen to.
Well, you can't blame the good people at Librivox for trying.  They're just ordinary volunteers doing their best, and they're putting it all for free on the Internet.

...oh wait!  This is the Internet, where everyone feels like the act of clicking on content entitles them to something, and if you're not giving them professional quality content for free, then you are are the worst person ever.



And many other comments of the same type.  See also many other comments of the same type on part 1.

Really, what can you do but laugh?

No comments: