Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss

(Graded Reader)

This is another Dr. Seuss book that I appreciate more as an adult than I did as a kid.  (Sometimes I wonder how much of "kids' entertainment" is actually geared more towards adult sensibilities.  But that's another subject for another time.)

I didn't hate this book as a kid, but it didn't particularly grab me, and I didn't really care for the ending.  (I never liked the fact that it was the cheerful Fox who got his comeuppance at the end instead of the grumpy Mr. Knox.)

I rediscovered this book a couple years ago in Cambodia.
Cambodian speakers (and Vietnamese speakers as well) have trouble pronouncing consonant clusters at the end of words.  So the /ks/ sound in "fox" and "socks" is almost always shortened to "fok in sok".  Going through these tongue twisters seemed like the perfect way to address this.

I didn't have access to the book at the time, so I found a version on Youtube that featured screen shots of the book accompanied by the classic LP recording performed by Marvin Miller (W) (with Marty Gold (W) and his orchestra).

Now, I actually remembered this audio recording from my youth as well.  We had borrowed the record from the library (this was back in the days when people still borrowed records from the library) and for a couple weeks or so I had listened to it as a child.

BUT, I had never really appreciated it as a child.  Now, as an adult, I found the rhythmic way that Marvin Miller read the words to have a pleasing, hypnotic rhythm to them.

Who comes?
Crow Comes.
Slow Joe Crow Comes.

Or the rhythmic way that the words "Mister" and "Sir" are used throughout the book.  To quote just one example:

Mr. Fox!
I hate this game, sir.
This game makes my tongue quite lame, sir.
Mr. Knox, sir, what a shame, sir.

Or:

Do you choose to chew goo, too, sir? 
If, sir, you, sir, choose to chew, sir, with the Goo-Goose, chew, sir. 
Do, sir.


What a shame, sir.

Oh well.

Recently I've been using this book with my young learner classes, and they have been enjoying it.

The book is available on amazon.com here.  

Below are materials I've used for this in the classroom.

A colleague of mine told me that she does running dictations with tongue twisters, so after going through the above video and texts with my students, I had them do running dictations.  (One student goes outside the room to read the words, and then must report back to their partner, who writes down the words.)  So below is my running dictations sheets for "Fox in Socks".  The dictation form and answers on Google here (drivedocspub), and the words for posting outside the classroom are here (drivedocspub).


1. Who sews crow's clothes? 
Sue sews crow's clothes. 
Slow Joe Crow sews whose clothes?
  Sue's Clothes.
2. If, sir, you, sir, choose to chew,
sir, with the Goo-Goose, chew, sir.
 Do sir.
3. Through three cheese trees three
free fleas flew. While these fleas
flew, freezy breeze blew.
4. Duck takes licks in lakes Luke 
Luck likes. Luke Luck takes licks in
 lakes duck likes.
5. When beetles fight these battles in
 a bottle with their paddles and the 
bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's 
eating noodles
6. they call this a muddle puddle 
tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle 
paddle battle


1



2



3



4
 
 
 
5
 
 
 
6
 
 
 


1. Who sews crow's clothes?  Sue sews crow's clothes.  Slow Joe Crow sews whose clothes?  Sue's Clothes.

2. If, sir, you, sir, choose to chew, sir, with the Goo-Goose, chew, sir. Do sir.
3. Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew. While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew.

4. Duck takes licks in lakes Luke Luck likes. Luke Luck takes licks in lakes duck likes.

5. When beetles fight these battles in a bottle with their paddles and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles

6.they call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle





Here are some supplementary teaching materials I made when teaching this book in my classes.  These materials don't really work too well independently of the actual book, so you'll need to get a copy of the book to use these.

PowerPoint: 1. (driveslidespub) 2. (driveslidespub) 3. (driveslidespub) 4. (driveslidespub) 5. (driveslidespub) 6. (driveslidespub) 7. (driveslidespub)

Worksheet: 1. (drivedocspub)  2. (drivedocspub)  3. (drivedocspub)  4. (drivedocspub)  5. (drivedocspub)  6. (drivedocspub)  7. (drivedocspub)

When re-using this for older students, I put all the PowerPoints together into one massive Slideshow  (slides, pub), (docs, pub)

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky on US Terrorism

(TESOL Materials--Storybooks ESL Listening)

Youtube Video HERE
Worksheet: docspub
Slideshow: slides, pub
Quizlet: HERE


No comments: