Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Sleeping Beauty (1959): Movie Review

(Movie Review--Thoughts After Re-watching)

This is a re-watch.  I'd seen this movie numerous times before in childhood.
This is my first time reviewing this movie on this blog, so according to my new rules, I'm doing this as a video only review.



My review of the Jungle Book (1967)--the previous time I rambled about my history with Disney: https://youtu.be/yNT0bijKRJk
Disney Guy Review - Sleeping Beauty: https://youtu.be/YM1LXu4X6aI
Wikipedia entry (where I got some more of my facts about this film): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeping_Beauty_(1959_film)#

Update: Whisky Prajer's thoughts HEREIn the comments, Whisky and I discuss this movie's legacy in relation to animation styles and Disney climaxes.

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

In Steinbach, Manitoba around 1970 was a black fibreglass float of Monstro the Whale. I remember clmbing into Monstro's mouth, sitting in a wooden chair and watching film clips of the Good Prince slashing giant black thorns with his sword (talk about mixed messages!). The Walt Disney version of Sleeping Beauty became the only version of Sleeping Beauty, after that.

Mebbe I'll do ablogpost. Nice review -- you've got me squawking!

Joel Swagman said...

>>Mebbe I'll do ablogpost. Nice review -- you've got me squawking!

My thoughts have inspired you to the point where you feel compelled to weigh in with your own thoughts? This is the highest form of compliment that a reviewer could ask for. Thank you for that. This comment made my day.