Sunday, January 19, 2020

Movie Reviews: Thoughts after Re-Watching

Index
* Bambi
Berkeley in the Sixties,
* Conspiracy: The Trial of the Chicago 8

So, ever since 2007, I've been diligently reviewing every movie I've watched on this blog.  Every one.  If I've watched it since 2007, there's a review of it up on this blog.

But so far, I've only applied this rule to movies I was seeing for the first time.  If I was re-watching a movie I'd already seen before, I didn't review it.
The primary reason for this was just to give myself a break.  I was already having trouble keeping up with my reviews of the new movies I was seeing, I couldn't possibly start adding reviews of movies I was re-watching.  (Exception--HERE).

Although many is the time that I've been tempted...
Often when I re-watch a movie on TV one night, I'm filled with thoughts and opinions.  Often nostalgic reminiscences of what this movie meant to me as a child or adolescent.  Or thoughts on how much the movie has aged since I first saw it.  Or thoughts on all the things I notice now that I never noticed before.  Et cetera, etc., etc.

Many times I thought to myself that I would like to start reviewing movies I've re-watched.  In fact it often seemed to me I'd have more intelligent commentary to say about movies I was re-watching than movies I was watching for the first time.  But therein also lies the danger.  (The more things I have to say, the more time I waste writing these blog posts.)

But since I've started video reviewing, it occurs to me I could actually do a video review quickly and painlessly.  (That 20 minutes I spend talking to the camera? Nothing compared to the hours it used to take me to write out a full review.  Especially back in the days when I was still doing long reviews.)

So, going forward, the new system is like this: if I see a movie for the first time, I'll give it my regular written review with a supplementary video review addendum.  If I happen to re-watch a movie I've already seen, I'll do a video review only.

Last year I started a "My Favorite Movies of All Time" video review project, and I've decided that that project will now be a subset of my more general "Thoughts on Re-Watching" project.

I'll keep the "thoughts on re-watching" movies indexed at the top of this post, and will also integrate them into my normal movie review index.  

The playlist for this project is HERE

No comments: