Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Abandoned: The Complete Stories of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Sort of.  I'm not abandoning it completely, but I am going to re-structure how I'm reading and reviewing it.

I started this book ages ago, long before my "starting and finishing" blog project.
I mentioned this book on my April 2018 Vlog: The Books I'm Currently Reading.  (Although even by that time, it was largely neglected on my self.)

see from 7:18


This book is a massive doorstopper: 1486 pages, containing all of the 14 Oz novels by L. Frank Baum.
I actually made good progress on this book for the first few months I was reading it: I got through the first 5 books;
The Wonderful World of Oz,
The Marvellous Land of Oz,  (This one was actually a re-read, because I had read it as a child.)
Ozma of Oz,
Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz,
and The Road to Oz.

I then got stalled out on book 6, The Emerald City of Oz.  Which I attribute to the fact that these books were fun at first, but after a while got to feel pretty repetitive, and I started to lose interest.

I am, however, not abandoning it completely.  I'm just planning on reading and reviewing each book individually, rather than trying to read the whole thing at once and keep it all in memory for some massive review.
This will involve going back and re-reading the first 5 books.  (In the case of The Marvellous Land of Oz, this will mean re-re-reading.)

I might try to clear out some of the other deadwood in my Currently Reading list before I come back to this one, but I'll announce each book as a new Starting entry when I get back to this.