Friday, April 27, 2018

So, this popped up in my Facebook feed today, and completely ruined my mood:
We're doomed': Mayer Hillman on the climate reality no one else will dare mention

...it's funny, isn't it?  Every 6 months or so, I'll see one of these articles (or hear an interview) about how the human race may not survive until the 21st Century.  And it will have me depressed for weeks.
And then gradually I'll forget about it, and then spend all my time obsessing over comic book movies or Star Wars again.

Given the seriousness of the crisis, it's kind of amazing how little we think about it, huh?

I have a friend who explained this to me through an evolutionary perspective.  Our ancestors were built to deal with the immediate threat of predators on the Savannah.  We can't plan around long term threats.
I guess the other theory is that we have to block this kind of stuff out to keep our mental sanity.

...speaking of which, in order to be able to sleep tonight, I watched this as an antidote to the article above.

Al Gore: The Case for Optimism on Climate Change (TED 2016)



(...for my review of Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth, see HERE).

No comments: