Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Started: Wheelock's Latin by Frederic M. Wheelock

I've always felt guilty about the fact that I'm currently studying Second Language Acquisition, and yet my own track record with learning languages has been abysmal.

There's a reason for this, of course.  Like a lot of people in TESOL, I stumbled into this job through circumstance.  (Largely because I couldn't think of what else I wanted to do with my life--once again, like a lot of other people in TESOL).

My own success story was Japanese, where I actually got to about an Upper-Intermediate level, and considered myself functional in the language for the purposes of daily interaction.

But I was terrible at learning Cambodian, and I've been pretty terrible at learning Vietnamese

I'm trying, however, to make more of an effort to take an interest in languages.  Because I do believe that you can't really be a good language teacher if you're not a language learner.  Even in TESOL.

To that end, I've been trying to make a renewed effort to study Vietnamese.  With the help of duolingo.
And, since duolingo launched their Japanese course in October, I've also been using duolingo to help me review my Japanese.

Now the only thing left is to start brushing off my old high school Latin.  (I hate to say it, but at this point I'm just going to have to consider Cambodian a loss.  I didn't learn anything in 4 years, and I don't plan on going back to live in Cambodia, so learning Cambodian is just an opportunity gone now.)

Anyways, I would use duolingo to study Latin as well, except that they don't have a Latin course.
...which is kind of surprising really.  I mean, I know Latin is a dead language.  But they have a Klingon course, and a High Valyrian course.  You can't tell me these are more useful than Latin?
Oh well.  I guess you can't complain too much about a free app.

So, for the time being, I'm using Quizlet to review some of my Latin basics.
I'm taking Wheelock's Latin as my text.  There's a free version of the 6th edition on archive.org HERE
And I'm going to start slowly plugging some of the textbook into quizlet, and see if I can dust the cobwebs off of my memory and start remembering some of my old schoolboy Latin. 
(I'm a little bit worried I might have let it go too long.  so far I'm not remembering anything at all.  It feels like it might as well be a completely new language.  But maybe it will start coming back eventually.)

Below are my quizlets.

Wheelock's Latin Folder HERE
Wheelock's Latin 2 terms
Wheelock's Latin 3 terms
Wheelock's Latin 4 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 5 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 6 terms
Wheelock's Latin 7 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 8 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 9 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 10 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 11 terms
* Wheelock's Latin 12 terms
Wheelock's Latin 13 terms
Wheelock's Latin 14 terms

No comments: