Sunday, March 04, 2018

A Goofy Movie--Worksheets

(Movie Worksheets)

(I already posted my review of this movie last week.  Now here are the actual worksheets I used.)

Google Drive Folder HERE

Worksheets:

Part 1 (docs, pub), Part 2 (docs, pub), Part 3 (docs, pub), Part 4 (docs, pub), Part 5 (docs, pub), Part 6 (docs, pub), Part 7 (docs, pub), Part 8 (docs, pub), Part 9 (docs, pub), Part 10 (docs, pub), Part 11 (docs, pub), Part 12 (docs, pub)

Explanation:
More movie worksheets.  (For an explanation of why I think it's useful to use movies in the classroom, see here,  here, and here.)
As I wrote at the end of the Princess Mononoke post, my new job has required me to cut these worksheets down to the bare minimum.  So they are just the script and the missing words.

In my class, I use the following stages.
1) I hand out the worksheet.  I check the meaning of the words in the box by saying the definitions (in the mixed up order) and the students yell out the word.
2) We watch the movie one time with the lights off
3) I turn on the lights.  The students try to write in the missing words in the script
4) We watch the movie a second time with the lights on.  The students check their answers.  I pause the movie after each answer to check that everyone got the right answer.
5). I answer any questions the students have about the vocabulary.  Students raise their hand and can ask me about any word that they want.

Other notes:
There are a few good versions of the script on-line.  (More proof that this movie has become a cult classic is that fans are putting in a lot of time and effort to transcribe this movie.)  I initially tried to use the script from this website here, but found that the notes were almost a bit too detailed (they took up too much room on the page), so I switched to the script from this website here
(Although I still have the draft of part 1 from the first script--docs, pub--if anyone wants to use this as a basis for making their own script using the more detailed version).
I used the borrowed script as a basis, although I corrected it wherever I thought it was in error.
I tried to stick to 4 pages of script per lesson.
Because I was breaking the script up by page length, and not by natural breaks in the movie, often the movie worksheets stops and starts at odd moments.
But in practice, when I was actually showing the movie, I would play enough to give contexts.  i.e. I would start the movie at the beginning of the scene each time, even if the movie worksheet only started halfway through that scene. Also on the other end, sometimes I would let the movie play a little longer if the worksheet ended in an awkward break.

No comments: