Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok

(Movie Review)

Positives
* You've got to give Marvel credit--they really go all out for these movies. Despite the fact that this is just one of those movies to tide us over until the next big crossover event, they did not skimp on the action here.  A huge spectacle that pulls out all the stops.

* Related to the above point: some really spectacular action scenes.

* But also some genuinely funny moments.

* Great dynamic between Thor and Hulk.

* An awesome soundtrack.  (I've always loved Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin, and it gets featured prominently in this movie twice).

* A great retro campy style.  (I was reminded, in a good way, of all the excesses of the 1980 Flash Gordon movie).

Negatives
 * Continuity nitpick--Lady Sif does not return.  Apparently it was because Marvel never got their act together to ask the actress in time.

* Some of the other Asgardians that featured prominently in the first film get killed off rather unceremoniously.

Mixed 
* So, this film is pretty much just non-stop fighting scenes from beginning to end.
There's no problem with that per-se.  After all, you're just getting what you pay for when you come to see a Marvel movie.
But, I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm starting to feel a bit fatigued by these movies that are just constant fighting.  I was really pumped and excited for the first fight scene.  I was loving it during the middle fight scenes.  But by the time we go to the end of the movie... I was feeling ready for the movie to just be over.
All that being said, the director did the best that could be expected with this.  He kept increasing the drama and adrenaline.  I loved in the climatic fight scene how the movie took time out for the pep talk with Odin, and then it came back to the fight with more energy and amped up music.

Rating
An awesome spectacle and a lot of fun.  8 out of 10 stars.

Other Notes
* I'm ashamed to say I didn't actually know what Ragnarok was before this movie.  It wasn't until the trailers for this movie first came out (about 6 months ago) that I bothered to Google it.
Once I realized the real mythology behind Ragnarok, I found it quite fascinating.  In fact, I was going to make it one of my Interesting Random Facts, But then I changed my mind because I figured everyone would be going to Google this for themselves once this movie came out.
But if by chance you are one of those people who never got around to reading about Ragnarok, check out the Wikipedia page.  Wow, did our ancient Germanic ancestors believe some crazy things!

Marvel Cinematic Universe Links:
Iron Man, Iron Man 2Iron Man 3Captain AmericaCaptain America 2ThorThe Incredible HulkThe Avengers,  Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy 2,  Civil WarAnt Man, Spider-Man Homecoming, and Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Video Review
Video Review HERE and embedded below:



Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky: Who Owns the World? Resistance and Ways Forward

4 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

I've vowed to never again set foot in the theatre for a Marvel movie (though Dr. Strange was a worthy exception) but so many people have made the Flash Gordon observation my resolve is weakening. I saw it back in the day, breaking faith with my parents (who denied me permission) and it's always sat in a weird corner of my consciousness -- like one of those bizarre shops you find in the unused corridors of an old shopping mall. Exotic and cheap, and disappointing if you look too closely.

Joel Swagman said...

There is definitely a Flash Gordon vibe going on through Ragnarok.

...that being said, I hate to recommend it too highly. It's essentially a brainless action flick that follows all the same plot points of all the other Marvel movies.

Just out of curiosity, why did you swear off Marvel movies?

Whisky Prajer said...

Ah, nothing too revelatory. The usual three-act structure, the best stuff happens between fights, etc.

Joel Swagman said...

Yes, you'll definitely see all those things in this movie as well. But, it's well done, for what that is worth.