Sunday, May 22, 2022

Once again, I'm a few days linking to it, but a new episode of Revolutions Podcast came out this week: 10.97- The Trial of the SRs: There's no business like show business.

It's another fascinating episode.  And once again, something I knew almost nothing about.
I had known in vague terms that the SRs had been persecuted by the  Bolsheviks.  (And in fact, I used to bring up the treatment of the SRs as a frequent debating point back in the days lived in Melbourne and used to debate with Trotskyists a lot.)
But I had never known about the details.  And the details of the whole thing were fascinating to learn about.
A point which Mike Duncan really drives home at the end is that these are exactly the kind of show trials that we normally associate with Stalin, but the trial of the SRs occurred in the days of Lenin and Trotsky. 
 
(Although... if I had to make a criticism of this episode, it's that we don't get to hear much about Lenin and Trotsky's involvement.  Everything is just "the Bolsheviks did this or that" instead of mentioning individuals.  Lenin and Trotsky are barely mentioned.  It would have been interesting to hear more about individual names.  How involved was Trotsky in all this?)

Another thing I thought was interesting was when Mike Duncan mentioned that there were 3 competing organizations for the mantle of the 3rd International.  I hadn't known that.  Interesting stuff.  (Mike said he'd get more into it next week, so I'm looking forward to that.)

Other Odds and Ends:
* In the opening add for Audible, Mike Duncan mentioned he is trying to get The Brothers Karamazov finished off his list of books to read before he dies.  I'm happy to say that this is a rare occasion when I'm one step ahead of Mike Duncan.  I read the book (and reviewed) that book back in 2017.

* On the homepage for the podcast, I actually chimed in on the comments this week.
Somebody was pleading with Mike to do the Spanish Civil War next.  He had posted the same comment 3 times (HERE, HERE and HERE).  So I thought maybe somebody better help him out, or he would just keep posting.  So I put into the comments
Hi Ashley, here is (to the best of my knowledge) Mike's latest statement on the Spanish Civil War.




No comments: