Monday, January 18, 2021

So, believe it or not, I am still slowly slogging my way through Don Quixote.  With any luck, I should have a review up this year.
I was thinking this afternoon about how the central theme of Don Quixote--the temptation to immerse yourself in fantasy instead of in the real world--is more relevant than ever nowadays.  And then that made me remember something my friend linked to off of Facebook--a Twitter thread about the putsch on January 6.  And I thought it could possibly tie in very nicely to my review of Don Quixote whenever I finally get around to it (in 6 months?  in a year?).  So I thought I'd post it here on my blog so I don't forget about it.  (I know I swore off political posts, but this doesn't count.  This is bookmarking a link I might possibly use for a book review in the future.)


 And actually while I'm on the subject, Whisky Prajer had a few interesting links last week.  One that's been sticking in my head is from Justin E. Smith, who talks about how the rioters on January 6 were dressed up in costume, and appeared to be playing out a fantasy of revolution.  Only "kids playing revolution" is what they called it in the 1960s (and besides, many of those on January 6 were hardly kids.)  So now the Internet calls it "Larping".
But then Justin E. Smith goes on to say:

The problem with this is that (with a gentle shout-out to René Girard) in an important sense all culture is larping — our species is Homo larpens at least as much as it is Homo narrans or ludens. The Viking who put on a bear sark was larping too. I larp every day I get up and pretend to be a competent professor of philosophy who understands anything at all about how the world works. This is all of course well-trodden ground for twentieth-century philosophy. Jean-Paul Sartre’s analysis of the waiter who was trying too hard to be a waiter —dressing up as a waiter each day and studiously imitating the bodily motions he associated with waiterdom— put to rest, if only incidentally, Heidegger’s expectation that there might be some deeper way of conducting ourselves that we can deem “authentic”. It’s just fake waiters all the way down, and fake philosophy professors, and mirror neurons spreading cultural patterns from one individual to the next. Another word for all that fakeness is, precisely, “culture”. And this is the danger of talk of larping: it reasserts willy-nilly the opposing, and dangerous, notion of authenticity.

(It should hopefully make even more sense if you read it in context in the full article). 

But before I close out this blog post, I should note that this is not only an issue on the right by any means.  At various points in history, the left has been accused of larping too.

The best example I can think of this is the 2004 documentary. Neverland: The Rise and Fall of the Symbionese Liberation Army (alternatively titled Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst) which explored the premise that the Symbionese Liberation Army was all made up of kids who had grown up watching too much Zorro, Robin Hood, and Che Guevara movies, and thought that they were living out their own revolutionary action movie.  (I saw this documentary back in 2004, before I had started regularly reviewing movies on this blog.  So I never reviewed it, but it's a fascinating little documentary.  If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, the premise is established very clearly in the first 10 minutes.)


...actually now that I'm thinking about it about, I'm beginning to realize that I'm wasting my time writing about old truisms.  The idea that these young kids attracted to revolutionary groups think they're living in some kind of novel is an idea that people have been saying for decades or centuries now.  (I myself, if I'm being completely honest, was prone to over-romanticizing these revolutionary movements in my youth, although in my case this just took the form of living vicariously through history books.)
...the point is, I may end up using this for a review of Don Quixote someday.

8 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

"LARPing" -- man, back in '80 when I was furtively meeting in my buddy's faux-panelled basement rec-room for D&D (although, technically, it was AD&D) and hoping, futilely, we wouldn't get shut down by our parents who had caught just a touch of the Satanic Panic, I never would have dreamed that ... well, it kinda does signal to a daemonic surrender. If I think of all the pastors/"spiritual leaders" who warned us to stay away from Friedkin's Exorcist etc I find myself wishing there was currently someone "spiritual" who could call out the eager Fundy-gelical participation in QAnon hijinx as being, frankly, the willing submission to daemonic entities and their daemonic designs.

Joel Swagman said...

Yes, I remember those days as well. I was a bit too young in the 1980s to really understand what D&D is, but I remember the panic as well--my Sunday School teachers pre-emptively warned us about it. It used to confuse me so much because I didn't really know what D&D was, so I imagined it was like monopoly or something, and I kept asking, "But how can a game make you a Satanist?"

It would be nice if some of those same people would know call out QAnon, agreed.

But then... look at it another way. The same credulity which made the D&D scare a thing back in the 80s is the same credulity which is feeding QAnon. Which is why the overlap between fundamentalismm and QAnon is so great.

Joel Swagman said...

P.S.--I'm a bit out of touch these days, but am I right in assuming the D&D scare is largely a relic of the 1980s? Fundamentalists aren't still concerned about D&D these days, are they?

Whisky Prajer said...

I don't travel in the right circles to have any kind of take on where D&D rates on the list of Fundy concerns (alas?). But the Satanic Panic of the 80s covered a very wide range of cultural and commercial product -- even the Cabbage Patch Kids were suspect, at least during their single year of cultural/commercial dominance.

But speaking of games and credulity, I think the best piece I've read on the matter is this game designer's analysis of QAnon (and please forgive me if I've shared it before) -- it's a game that's playing people.

Joel Swagman said...

I've been searching my memory, and I can't remember the Cabbage Patch Kids being criticized by my Sunday School or Christian School teachers. I'm guessing it must have been more out on the fringes? Thanks for the link, though. Always interesting to learn this stuff.
I definitely remember the D&D scare. And also the Satanic messages in rock music when you play it backwards scare. And I remember the Harry Potter is satanist scare (although that last one wasn't until I was in college, so I was old enough not to be so credulous by that point. The first two though, I was young enough that I didn't know any better and bought into them when my teachers told us about them.)

That QAnon link looks vaguely familiar. (Did I see it on Facebook?) But I hadn't read it before, so thanks for brining it to my attention again.

Whisky Prajer said...

Cabbage Patch Kids really had only one big year, and that was Christmas '83 -- it was the toy that incited riots among shopping parents. But fringes? I dunno, man, Bill Gothard used to be a pretty big cheese at the time. I never made the pilgrimage to his "Basic Youth Conflicts" seminars, but many of my peers did -- including my future wife, who thought he was a fat-head full of shit even back then.

BTW, Canada had its own round of Satanic Panic in '92 -- and we're talking off the charts panic levels.

Joel Swagman said...

My memory of 83 is pretty hazy. (I was 5 at the time). So I might have to concede this to you.
I do definitely remember the Cabbage Patch Kids as a cultural phenomenon though. And I remember parents and teachers being confused as to why they had suddenly become so popular. And then, of course, I remember the Garbage Pail Kids trading cards that were so popular in the playground subsequently.... Ah, the 80s.

Thanks for that article. I wasn't familiar with that specific case, but it did bring back vague memories of having read similar accounts before somewhere on the Internet. I thought maybe there was an analogous case in the United States I had read about once, so I Googled it, and it turns out it was a whole big thing. According to Wikipedia, at least:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

Whisky Prajer said...

"Back in MY day we didn't need no stinkin' internet to whip us into mass hysteria! (mutter, grumble)"

Still, my generation didn't manage to overrun security and break into the Capitol bldg either.