Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The X-Files: The Movie

(Movie Review)

I suppose from the fact that I’m just getting around to seeing this movie now, you can guess I was never a big X-Files fan. Given my youthful obsession with comic books, Star Trek, Science Fiction, and all other things geeky, you might think I would have been an X-Files fan, but I never got into it. I would occasionally see parts of episodes will flipping channels or visiting a friend’s dorm room, and I was familiar with the main characters and the basic premise, but I watched very few episodes start to finish.

Like most non-fans, I just didn’t have the patience for it. The show would hint at a lot, but it seemed very little would actually happen, and instead each show would just tease us a little more.

The reason I decided to rent the movie was because I thought that the movie would probably be designed for a wider audience, have a self-contained story, and lots more excitement and special effects than the TV show.

Well, kind of. There were more explosions and the special effects were a bit more snazzy. And it was very easy to jump right into it and pick up the story without much knowledge of the TV show. But, in typical X-files fashion, it teased a lot more than it delivered, and the ending was very unsatisfying.

To be fair, I realize this was intentional on the film maker’s part. And in the director’s commentary, the director repeatedly bragged about leaving things vague in order to make them scarier to the imagination. But, is it just me, or does anyone else think the X-files were never all that scary to begin with?

Link of the Day
The History of May Day

The X-Files: The Movie: Movie Review (Scripted)



3 comments:

inertbat said...

hey joel, sorry i never called you back. i've been out of touch and reclusive for the past month (mostly just sick though). mail me your keitai address sometime.

i remember when the x-files movie came out. it pulled together all the confusing bits and revealed who the mysterious characters were. i remember thinking it wouldn't be interesting to someone who wasn't following the series, but I guess that isn't the case. i kind of liked how they always left things open-ended and unclear, though. I'm curious how it all turned out. i didn't have a tv in uni and only really saw the one season before the movie came out :(

Whisky Prajer said...

Ah, The X-Files - the bane of my television watching existence!

Anonymous said...

X-Files not scary?!? Maybe its just me, but some episodes scared me half to death. I have an extremely overactive imagination though. After reading an illustrated version of "Hound of the Baskervilles" I couldn't step around a corner without seeing the hound for months.

And I rather enjoyed the X-Files movie. Sure there were lots of hints of other things, but it scary and dramatic enough to pull me in.