Saturday, July 06, 2024

Gerunds and Infinitives with Verbs: Video and Gapfill Worksheet
Worksheet: docs, pub
I used this video from Easy English when introducing gerunds and infinitives following certain verbs.
The video is quite long, but I only play the first 2 and a half minutes.
As a lead-in, I introduce the term work-life balance, and I get students to talk about what work-life balance is like in their country.
Then, I play the video with the gist question "What is Susan's work-life balance like?"
Then we play the video again with the specific information questions.
Then a gap-fill and then a sorting activity for the noticing phase.



https://youtu.be/PT85QlyEjQI?si=JREELkdpDI8M4RT7

What time does Susan wake up every day?


What time does Susan go to sleep?


What does Susan aspire to be in the next five years?


What does Susan need to raise money to buy?


Who does Susan miss living with?


Who does Susan miss joking around with?





What time does Susan wake up every day?


What time does Susan go to sleep?


What does Susan aspire to be in the next five years?


What does Susan need to raise money to buy?


Who does Susan miss living with?


Who does Susan miss joking around with?

https://youtu.be/PT85QlyEjQI?si=JREELkdpDI8M4RT7

Hi Maria.


Hi Susan 


It's so good________ you. I'm trying________  when the last time I saw you was.


Oh, I don't know. But every time I suggest ________ , you have some excuse. Are you trying ________  me?


You know I always look forward ________  you! I’ve been meaning ________  you a visit, but I just couldn't find the time. I love ________ time with you.  You're my best friend. But I've been very busy with my job. I want ________  promoted and earn more, but promotions take a lot of work. Imagine________   ________  up at 5 am every day and ________ ________  at midnight! I aspire ________  a CEO in the next five years and I'll work towards ________ my dream a reality.


If you continue ________  so hard, you risk ________ sick.


I need ________ money________  a bigger apartment and a new car. I have lots of plans and dreams that I need ________ .


You always need ________  money for something and you neglect ________  life to the fullest. You never get ________  enough time with the people you love. And time passes by.


That's true. I don't get ________  my family as often as I'd like. I miss ________ with my parents. I remember ________ in and ________ up to a home-cooked breakfast. I miss ________ my parents out in the garden every day ________ after their vegetable plants. I also miss ________ around with my brother. I plan ________ them next month. I've been so busy lately that I struggle ________  in touch with them.

Hi Maria.


Hi Susan 


It's so good to see you. I'm trying to remember when the last time I saw you was.


Oh, I don't know. But every time I suggest meeting, you have some excuse. Are you trying to avoid me?


You know I always look forward to meeting you! I’ve been meaning to pay you a visit, but I just couldn't find the time. I love spending time with you.  You're my best friend. But I've been very busy with my job. I want to get promoted and earn more, but promotions take a lot of work. Imagine having to get up at 5 am every day and going to sleep at midnight! I aspire to be a CEO in the next five years and I'll work towards making my dream a reality.


If you continue to work so hard, you risk getting sick.


I need to raise money to buy a bigger apartment and a new car. I have lots of plans and dreams that I need to achieve.


You always need to raise money for something and you neglect to live life to the fullest. You never get to spend enough time with the people you love. And time passes by.


That's true. I don't get to see my family as often as I'd like. I miss living with my parents. I remember sleeping in and waking up to a home-cooked breakfast. I miss seeing my parents out in the garden every day looking after their vegetable plants. I also miss joking around with my brother. I plan to visit them next month. I've been so busy lately that I struggle to stay in touch with them.


Sort these words into two categories

aspire, continue, get, go, good, have, imagine, look forward to, love, mean, miss, need, neglect, plan, raise money, remember, risk, suggest, struggle, try, want, work towards,


words that are followed by an infinitive (to+V1)

words that are followed by a gerund (Ving)












Look at this sentence:

It’s so good to see you.

What do you think the rule is?

  1. adjectives are followed by gerunds

  2. adjectives are followed by infinitives


No comments: