Thursday, March 31, 2022

I saw this Tweet from an old college friend of mine: 


...and I had some thoughts of my own.  I initially though I would reply to my friend, but then I decided my replies were more relevant to the original Tweet he was quoting.  So I put my replies there.   


I know, I know, arguing on Twitter is a waste of time.  But sometimes you can't help yourself. These are ideas that I've had kicking around my head for a while now, so the minute I saw an opportunity to opine, I jumped into the discussion.
The idea that religious faith seems to rely heavily on religious community is an observation I've had for a long time.  And have made on this blog before--see HERE.  It's an observation based in no small part on my own experience of losing my religious faith once I left my own religious community.  But it also seems to be true for many people.  That's why religious faith can be geographically located.  
And political beliefs as well.  In fact the polarization of the past few years have made me increasingly aware of how much political beliefs are about tribalism, and not idealism.  And that has reinforced my understanding that political and religious beliefs come from your tribe, not from your brain.
The idea to tie this to evolutionary psychology comes, of course, from my recent reading of The Moral Animal by Robert Wright.  Ever since reading that book, I've been inclined to see everything through the lens of evolutionary psychology.  (Although it is my own extrapolation from the book.  Robert Wright doesn't actually talk about tribalism and ideology.)

addendum: It's interesting how many of the other replies to this tweet essential confirm what I've been saying, even if they come at it from a different point of view.
The science tribe was hostile. The Church was welcoming. So she chose the Church tribe. And as for the evidence for the validity of the epistemological claims of the Church? Not important.

No comments: