Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Rinkitink in Oz by L. Frank Baum

(Book Review--Land of OzFantasyChildren's Books)  

Started: February 14, 2022
Finished: February 28, 2022
(This review is written using my new format for book reviews.)  

Background Information

Originally published in 1916, this is the tenth book in the Oz series.  
Baum actually wrote this novel back in 1905 as a separate novel from the Oz series.  But when he was out of money and needed another Oz novel, he dusted this novel off, and changed the ending to involve the Oz characters.  Thus, as Wikipedia says:
It is notable that most of the action takes place outside of Oz, and no character from Oz appears in the book until its climax.
What do you do when you’re running short of money again and your publisher is haranguing you for yet another book in a popular series you are beyond tired of writing?  If you’re L. Frank Baum, you take an old unpublished book, throw in a few references to said popular series and squash in an annoying encounter with your series characters, and, voila! An Oz book. Sorta. 

Summary of the Plot (***SPOILERS***)

As noted above, almost all of this story takes place outside the Land of Oz.  
It's time to get out our maps.
Do you see the two islands in Nonestic Ocean in the upper right-hand corner of the map?  That's where almost all of the action takes  place.  At the very end of the book, the action moves to the Dominions of the Nome King (see the above map), and then finally Dorothy shows up to save the day at the very end, and then all the characters end up in Land of Oz for one chapter, and several Oz characters make cameos. 

As is common with these Oz books (for some reason), the title is a misleading.  Not only Rinkitink is not actually in Oz for 90% of the book, Rinkitink isn't even the main character.  The main character is Prince Inga.  Prince Inga lives on a lovely island of Pingaree (see the map).  But then the island of Pingaree is invaded by the wicked island of Regos.  But then, Prince Inga inherits 3 magic pearls--a blue pearl which gives him strength, a pink pearl which prevents him from being harmed, and a white pearl which can tell him what to do at any time.  And so, Prince Inga is able to fight back against the island of Regos.
But if you've ever read a fairy tale before in your life, then you know that sooner or later, Prince Inga is going to lose the pearls.  And then, he must search to find them again...
Also, the fat King Rinkitink and his surly goat Bilbil accompany Prince Inga--mostly just to provide comic relief.

The Reading Experience

As is my normal habit with these Oz books, I didn't do my research until after I had finished the book.  So when I was reading, I had no idea that this was something L. Frank Baum originally wrote as a non-Oz book.  And so while I was reading, I was thinking to myself, "Okay, this is starting out different than the other Oz stories so far.  But different is always good.  I can't wait to see how this will all tie into the Land of Oz."  
As I kept reading, I became more and more amused by how long L. Frank Baum was delaying the entrance of the Oz characters.
Then, of course, once I got to the end and saw how little the book connected to Oz, it became clear that this book must have started out life as a non-Oz story.

Evaluation

In my review of the previous book in this series, The Scarecrow of Oz, I said that the story was just like a fairy tale.  
It turns out, I spoke too soon.  Rinkitink in Oz is even more fairy-tale esque.  The plot about the three magic pearls is straight out of The Brothers Grimm.  
On the other hand, my buddy reads partner, Dane, wrote of The Scarecrow of Oz: "This book was an interesting one for me because I almost feel as though it didn’t need to be an Oz book."
I'm guessing Dane is also feeling like he spoke too soon.  Because if The Scarecrow of Oz didn't need to be an Oz book, Rinkitink of Oz really, really doesn't need to be an Oz book.
So, basically, take everything Dane and I already said about The Scarecrow of Oz, and then just double it.

I said that in my review of The Scarecrow of Oz that not everything in the story made logical sense, but since the book is so clearly operating by fairy tale logic, I did my best to turn off my brain.  
And the same is true for Rinkitink in Oz.  There were more than a few things that didn't make sense...  
(I am willing to grant the magic pearls as part of the story's premise, but where does the magic boat come from?  Also, since the White Pearl clearly knows everything, how come Prince Inga doesn't ask the White Pearl for advice more often?)
...but I did my best to shut my brain off and remind myself that it's only a fairy tale.

And, the book clearly does not need to be an Oz book.  But it is.  It's part of the official Oz canon, so you may as well just try to enjoy it for what it is.  I actually found it a refreshing change of pace.

As always with these Oz books, the appeal is not the internal consistency or logic.  (These are decidedly the series' weak points.)  The appeal is the imagery of the fantastical lands, and the wacky characters.
Baum's descriptions are never overly detailed, but I enjoyed imagining myself in the beautiful island nations.  
And I loved the characters of the fat jolly King Rinkitink and his grumpy goat Bilbil.  I thought they were a perfect comic pair, and I loved their back-and-forths. 

External Links

Once again, I'm heavily reliant on Mari Ness's review at Tor.com: Sailing Through Magical Seas: Rinkitink in Oz.  To quote from part of it:
As in all the best fairy tales, the prince’s rescue attempts to not go at all smoothly. He loses the shoes. His parents are taken to the Nome King.  Chasing them, he must face three terrible perils in the deep caverns of the Nome King, relying on his wits and strength to survive.  And just as the plot climbs to an exciting, dramatic climax—
Dorothy sends it to a screeching halt.
By authorial intervention, she just happens to be watching Inga’s story in the Magic Picture (which by this book has begun to take on the rather ominous aspect of a universal spy), and just happens to decide to go rescue Inga, trotting over to the Nomes, basket of eggs on her arm, accompanied by the Wizard.
I cannot overstate just how unnecessary this rescue is. After all, Inga has a talking magic pearl.  And unlimited strength. And invulnerability. (He got the pearls back.)  And an irritated talking goat.  The only reason he needs Dorothy at all is so that he can be repackaged and sold as an Oz book.
Sigh.
But the Oz interlude, if intrusive and annoying, is at least over quickly, allowing Baum to return to his fairy tale after just a few more chapters.
I also found the comments section interesting.  The - first - five - commenters - said that this was one of their favorite Oz books despite the fact that it had very little to do with Oz.  Or rather, because of the fact that it had very little to do with Oz.  As Seth e. puts it:
Reiterating my love for Rinkitink, for everybody else’s reasons above, and also for the completely nonsensical nature of its attachment to Oz. It’s a laidback, breezy book, at a point when Oz had become pretty precious.

I hate to admit it, but this is my feeling as well.  Just when I'm becoming a little sick of the Oz series, I found it a  breath of fresh air to read a story that was only slightly connected to Oz.  (I don't know.  Maybe that's a sign that it's time to stop reading?)

There's also a last comment which indicates that the twist ending at the very end of the book involving the true identity of Bilbil the goat was part of the revisions: 
Rinkitink in Oz is the perfect fantasy novel—until, as the reviewer notes, the story reaches the revisions Baum made to his original text. Dropping Dorothy into the middle of everything is bad enough, but for me the true atrocity lies in the treatment afforded one very likeable goat. Bilbil is one of the most amusing characters Baum ever created, but his Ozzy tweaks to the tale turn the surly animal into a pet improvement project for Glinda and the Wizard. What a betrayal! In fact, the only major character who escapes embarrassment at the hands of the author’s revisions is Rinkitink himself. The giggling king stays true to form until he’s reluctantly carried back to Gilgad to rule—a funny closing that surely survives largely unadulterated from Baum’s first manuscript.   

I can't find this corroborated anywhere else on the Internet (I've checked).  But if this is true, it means that the twist ending about Bilbil the goat being an enchanted prince was not part of the original book, and is part of L. Frank Baum's revisions.  And if so, I agree with the commenter.  It did kind of ruin the character of Bilbil.  He was a perfectly fine comedic character when he was just a grumpy goat.  Why ruin it by making him into an enchanted prince in disguise?

And last, but not least, Dane's review HERE
By this point in the Oz series, it’s pretty clear that L. Frank Baum has had enough and doesn’t actually want to be writing about Oz anymore. He tried to draw a line under it but had to bring it back, a little bit like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes, in part because he had no money and his other series weren’t selling very well.
The problem is that this book just reads as though Baum wrote a non-Oz book and then made a token effort to tie it back into the series. When Dorothy and Ozma show up at the end, it’s just lip service to the fans, and they don’t really need to be there except for the whole deus ex machina thing. Overall, this is an unmemorable read.

Dane's not wrong here, but I enjoyed the book regardless.  I thought it was an interesting change of pace from the  usual Oz books. 

Extended Quotation

The prow of the boat grounded on the beach, stopping its speed so suddenly that the little man was caught unawares and nearly toppled headlong into the sea. But he managed to catch hold of the chair with one hand and the hair of one of his rowers with the other, and so steadied himself. Then, again waving his jeweled cap around his head, he cried in a merry voice:
"Well, here I am at last!"
"So I perceive," responded King Kitticut, bowing with much dignity.
The fat man glanced at all the sober faces before him and burst into a rollicking laugh. Perhaps I should say it was half laughter and half a chuckle of merriment, for the sounds he emitted were quaint and droll and tempted every hearer to laugh with him.
"Heh, heh—ho, ho, ho!" he roared. "Didn't expect me, I see. Keek-eek-eek-eek! This is funny—it's really funny. Didn't know I was coming, did you? Hoo, hoo, hoo, hoo! This is certainly amusing. But I'm here, just the same."
"Hush up!" said a deep, growling voice. "You're making yourself ridiculous."
Everyone looked to see where this voice came from; but none could guess who had uttered the words of rebuke. The rowers of the boat were all solemn and silent and certainly no one on the shore had spoken. But the little man did not seem astonished in the least, or even annoyed.
King Kitticut now addressed the stranger, saying courteously:
"You are welcome to the Kingdom of Pingaree. Perhaps you will deign to come ashore and at your convenience inform us whom we have the honor of receiving as a guest."
"Thanks; I will," returned the little fat man, waddling from his place in the boat and stepping, with some difficulty, upon the sandy beach. "I am King Rinkitink, of the City of Gilgad in the Kingdom of Rinkitink, and I have come to Pingaree to see for myself the monarch who sends to my city so many beautiful pearls. I have long wished to visit this island; and so, as I said before, here I am!"
"I am pleased to welcome you," said King Kitticut. "But why has Your Majesty so few attendants? Is it not dangerous for the King of a great country to make distant journeys in one frail boat, and with but twenty men?"
"Oh, I suppose so," answered King Rinkitink, with a laugh. "But what else could I do? My subjects would not allow me to go anywhere at all, if they knew it. So I just ran away."
"Ran away!" exclaimed King Kitticut in surprise.
"Funny, isn't it? Heh, heh, heh—woo, hoo!" laughed Rinkitink, and this is as near as I can spell with letters the jolly sounds of his laughter. "Fancy a King running away from his own people—hoo, hoo—keek, eek, eek, eek! But I had to, don't you see!"
"Why?" asked the other King.
"They're afraid I'll get into mischief. They don't trust me. Keek-eek-eek—Oh, dear me! Don't trust their own King. Funny, isn't it?"

***END QUOTE***  This is from Chapter 2: The Coming of King Rinkitink .  The mysterious voice is, a few paragraphs later, revealed to be Rinkitink's goat, Bilbil. I think this quote does a good job of illustrating the dynamic between Rikitink and Bilbil, which make up much of the humor of this book. 

I enjoyed this one slightly more than average.  6 out of 10.  

February 27, 2022 p.1012-1062

Video Review (Playlist HERE)


No comments: