Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Randomly stumbled upon this Youtube video, and I found it interesting: 


As someone who was a child in the 80s, I vaguely remember some of this, but only vaguely.  (I was still very young at the time.)
But, it's interesting to watch the video and hear exactly which songs that first set Tipper Gore and Susan Baker off.  I had always assumed that they were offended by some really sexually explicit rap songs or something (like 2 Live Crew or something similar).  But no, it was Like a Virgin and Purple Rain
If you watch the first 2 minutes of the video, Susan Baker was very upset because her daughter asked her, "What's a virgin?"  And that's what first set her off on this crusade.
But the word "virgin" is all over the Christian Christmas story.  It's right there in the first verse of Silent Night for crying out loud!  So your kid is going to hear that word sooner or later if you attend church at all.  How ridiculous.
I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir.  Tipper Gore and Susan Baker have been ridiculed for years now.  But... but I just never realized until now how ridiculous the whole thing actually was.

No comments: