Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Q: Skills for Success: Listening and Speaking 5: Unit 1 Listening 2 The Story of My Life p.13-17

(Supplementary Materials for Specific Textbooks--Q: Skills for Success: Listening and Speaking 5)

Google Folder HERE
90 Second Listening: docs, pub

1. What is it that Helen Keller cannot remember?



2.  What did Helen Keller learn meant “no”?  What meant “yes”? 


3. What meant “come”?  What meant “go”?



4.  How did Helen Keller indicate to her mother that she wanted bread?



5.  How did Helen Keller indicate to her mother that she wanted ice cream?



6.  When did Helen Keller first realize that she was different from other people?



7.  How did Helen Keller first realize that she was different from other people?

1. (00:05--00:09)_______________________________________________________________


___________________________________________________________________________



2. (00:09--00:12)_____________________________________________________________


___________________________________________________________________________


3. (00:12--00:14)_____________________________________________________________


___________________________________________________________________________


4. (00:14--00:16)_____________________________________________________________


___________________________________________________________________________


5. (00:16--00:19)_____________________________________________________________


___________________________________________________________________________


______________________________________________________________


1.  I cannot recall what happened during the first months after my illness. (00:05--00:09)

2.  I only know that I sat in my mother’s lap (00:09-00:012)

3. or clung to her dress (00:12-00:14)

4. as she went about her household duties (00:14-00:16)

5. My hands felt every object (00:16-00:19)

Helen Keller: I cannot recall what happened during the first months after my illness. I only know that I sat in my mother’s lap or clung to her dress as she went about her household duties. My hands felt every object and observed every motion, and in this way I learned to know many things. Soon I felt the need of some communication with others and began to make crude signs. A shake of the head meant “No” and a nod, “Yes.” A pull meant “Come” and a push, “Go.” Was it bread that I wanted? Then I would imitate the acts of cutting the slices and buttering them. If I wanted my mother to make ice cream for dinner, I made the sign for working the freezer and shivered, indicating cold. My mother, moreover, succeeded in making me understand a good deal. I always knew when she wished me to bring her something, and I would run upstairs or anywhere else she indicated. Indeed, I owe to her loving wisdom all that was bright and good in my long night. . . . 


I do not remember when I first realized that I was different from other people, but I knew it before my teacher came to me. I had noticed that my mother and my friends did not use signs as I did when they wanted anything done, but talked with their mouths

recall: to remember something:

I don't recall arranging a time to meet.


illness: a disease of the body or mind:

He died at the age of 83 after a long illness.


lap: Your lap is the top part of your legs when you are sitting down:

Sit on my lap and I'll read you a story.


cling: to hold someone or something tightly, especially because you are frightened:

I clung on to his hand in the dark.


go about: to start to do something or deal with something:

What's the best way to go about this?


household: connected with or belonging to a home:

household expenses


duty: something you do as part of your job or because of your position:

professional duties


object: a thing that you can see or touch but that is usually not alive:

a bright, shiny object


observe: to watch someone or something carefully (n.b.--in Helen Keller’s case, however, it means to notice by touching or feeling with her hands)

Children learn by observing adults.


motion: a single action or movement:

She made a motion with her hand.


communication: the act of communicating with other people:

The school is improving communication between teachers and parents.


crude: made or done in a simple way and without much skill:

a crude weapon


sign: a movement you make to give someone information or tell them what to do


shake: to make quick, short movements from side to side or up and down, or to make something or someone do this:

He was shaking with nerves.


shake your head: to move your head from side to side to mean 'no'


nod: to move your head up and down as a way of agreeing
They nodded enthusiastically at the proposal.


pull: to take hold of something and move it somewhere:

If you keep pulling his tail, he'll bite you.


come: to move or travel towards a person who is speaking or towards the place that they are speaking about:

Come and see what I've done.


push: to move someone or something by pressing them with your hands or body:

She pushed the books aside and sat down on my desk.

go: to move or travel somewhere:

I'd love to go to America.


imitate: to copy the way someone or something looks, sounds, or behaves:

She tried to imitate the way the models walked.


recall

illness


lap

cling

go about


household

duty


object

observe


motion

communication


crude

sign


shake

shake your head


nod

push


pull

come


imitate


No comments: