Sunday, November 19, 2017

Around the Room Memory Game

(TESOL Ideas--Any Grammar Point, 3rd Conditional)
Google: docs, pub

[Notes: I'm in the process of revising my workshop on "Activities that Can be Used for Any Grammar Point".  Before posting the whole thing, I'm going to post some of the activities separately.  This is an activity that I believe can be used with any grammar point, but the example here is 3rd conditional.]

Around the Room Memory Game (Materials: none) (Preparation: 0)
Start at the beginning of the room.  One student says a sentence containing the target language.  The next student has to remember the previous sentence, and then add their own sentence.  Each successive student has to remember all the sentences that came previously, plus add their own sentence.
Variation: Circle Writing
A similar idea, but done with writing.  The first sentence writes one sentence on a piece of paper, and then passes it along to the student next to him, who continues the story (using the same target grammar).  Example: All the things I’m going to do when I grow up (going to future), all the things I would have done if I gone to America last year (3rd conditional)

1st Student: “If I had overslept, I would have been late to school.”
2nd student: “If I had overslept, I would have been late to school and my dad would have gotten angry.”
3rd student: “If I had overslept, I would have been late to school, my dad would have gotten angry, and I would have missed breakfast.”

4th student: “If I had overslept, I would have been late to school, my dad would have gotten angry, I would have missed breakfast, and I would have felt hungry.”

No comments: