Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Today Krashen posted on his blog:

In which he said:

In my original statements and in a more recent paper,  I presented evidence for the hypothesis that we need not, and should not, aim at i+1.  If we supply a great deal of rich and interesting comprehensible input, i+1 is automatically present.  We don't have to "target just the right spot" for optimal acquisition.
I don't think this is a new idea from him.  (I think this is what he's been saying for a long time now).  But it is also the justification I use in my own classrooms for using a lot of authentic material like movie worksheets.
If the students are engaged with the movie (if you get a movie that really captures the students' attention) then it's okay if some of the input goes over their heads.  There will be at least some i+1 input in the movie, and the i+1 that the learner does catch will aid their acquisition.

No comments: