Sunday, November 21, 2021

Another Steve Donoghue Q&A, so I put in my question HERE
Since you're a long time Superman fan, I'm curious about how you felt while the whole Death of Superman saga was going on.  Were you absolutely horrified?  Or did you know all along that it was just a gimmick, and Superman wouldn't stay dead? 
What about the story itself?  Did you feel the narrative was engaging?  Would you have written it differently?
I myself actually started reading Superman comics for the first time during this period.  (The whole affair was getting so much attention from the mainstream media, and I got curious.)  As a new reader in the early 90s, the first thing that struck me was all weird and wonderful the supporting characters.  I didn't realize until years later that these characters came from Jack Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen in the 1970s.  What did you think of Jack Kirby's work on Jimmy Olsen?  What did you think of Dan Jurgens bringing these characters back in the 1990s?
I probably should have deleted that second paragraph, as its only tangentially related, and the question runs afoul of Steve's request for brevity.  
(And also breaks my own self-imposed rules.  I like to make a little game of out these Q&As, which is to try to predict which questions can get longer answers out of Steve, but I view it as cheating to force a long answer by asking a multi-part question.) 
But, in the end I gave in to my own curiosity.  I wanted to hear what Steve thought about it, and I figured I wouldn't be back on the subject of early 1990s Superman in these Q&As again.
For my own thoughts on the supporting cast of early 1990s Superman comics, see HERE and HERE.  


For my other forays into Steve Donoghue's Q&As (the ones I've blogged about anyway), see HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

No comments: