Sunday, November 14, 2021

Kyle Rittenhouse: My Two Cents
Maybe I've been spending too much time online lately, but I keep hearing complaints from leftists about how the judge in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial is being unfair to the prosecution.
This thirst for vengeance on the part of the left is unhealthy.  
The moral high ground is always to be found in forgiveness.  

I've just finished a biography of Gandhi and I was struck with how generous Gandhi always was towards his opponents.  For example, when Gandhi was beaten by a group of thugs, he refused to prosecute them, because they were doing what they thought was right in their own eyes.
What mattered to Gandhi was not exerting power over his opponents, but changing his opponents' minds.
Historically, this same spirit was once associated with the anarchist movement.  When a crazed rightest tried to kill the anarchist Louise Michel during a speaking engagement, she forgave her attempted assassin and even intervened in the courts to save him.
Anarchist Voltairine de Cleyre also forgave her assassin and refused to prosecute him.
While it is true that this sentiment has not been universal in the history of Leftism, to the extent that it exists, I would like to identify myself with it.
I know that some people would argue that punishment creates deterrence for future offenders.  But even if this is your argument, this argument should be made dispassionately.  It's a bad look when the left appears to take delight in Rittenhouse's suffering.

No comments: