Sunday, October 25, 2020

AbandonedLearning Teaching by Jim Scrivener (I've actually read this book once before and reviewed it here.  But I am abandoning my re-reading of it.)

Started (re-reading): June 10, 2019
Back in June, 2019, I was brought in to the Teacher Training Department at my school to train new teachers in a CELTA equivalent course.  (It wasn't a certified CELTA course, but I was working with certified CELTA tutors and using the CELTA methodology).
Since I was new to teacher training, I was trying to do my best to catch up to the other tutors.  
On the bookshelves of the Teacher Training department was The CELTA Course Trainer's Manual by Scott Thornbury (A).  I asked if I could borrow the book and read it at home.
"You could," said the more experienced tutor.  "But if you really want to study the methodology we use, you'd be much better of just reading Learning Teaching.

I'd read Learning Teaching already, but I figured I was due for a re-read.  Especially since the book was so full of teaching techniques and ideas that there was no way I could carry all the advice around in my active memory 6 years later.
So I started re-reading.  
I already had a review of this book written up on the blog, but I figured I would do a supplementary video review when I finished re-reading it (much as I had done for my re-reads of Beyond the Sentence, How Languages are LearnedTechniques and Principles in Language Teaching, The English Verb and The Language Teaching Matrix.)

For the next few weeks, I spent a lot of time re-reading Learning Teaching, even though my progress through the pages was slow.  (Scrivener writes in an easy to read style, and yet it takes me forever to work through his book.  This is something I remember that from the first time I read it.  Probably because the book is so packed full of ideas, it takes a while to digest).  But I did make it through most of the book re-reading it.  (I got up to chapter 15--324 pages out of 380--not counting the appendices.)
But then in August, deadlines started looming for Delta Module 3, and I felt like I needed to drop this book and get working on my Delta Module 3 reading.  
At the time, I fully intended to come back and finish my re-reading of this book.  But I never did.  Now, over a year later, it's time to admit to myself that I've abandoned this book, and take it down from my "Currently Reading" section on the sidebar of this blog.

I will eventually do a video review of it, however.  Once I work my way around to it on my scripted book review project.  And maybe at that time I'll try to synthesize some of the stuff I remember from my re-reading into the scripted review.

Update: Video Review below:

Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener [Second Edition]: Book Review (Scripted)

No comments: